What Direction Should this Forum Go?

i don’t know if it is coming from my computer (I don’t think) but too many posts disappear from this forum !
Either answers or questions either complete topics don’t exist anymore

Just about the last two days :

About a 22 RF magnum : one guy answers (i remeber he said he fates the squirrels)
his answer doesn’t exist anymore

about Mauser Auto riffle :
i posted some drawing, some guy answered with interesting pictures and now the topic has been deleted !!

what is happening ??

JP

My guess would be someone cleaning up non cartridge related posts…

Squirrels are definitely off topic but Mauser Semi-Autos are at least semi-interesting (pun intended!) although I dont recall any cartridge talk in that thread either.

[quote=“alpinehunter”]My guess would be someone cleaning up non cartridge related posts…

Squirrels are definitely off topic but Mauser Semi-Autos are at least semi-interesting (pun intended!) although I dont recall any cartridge talk in that thread either.[/quote]

Ok !

If it is related only to ctges and not even to the weapons shooting them I will not waste anymore my time checking articles, scanning pictures, putting them on photobucket and then here.

JP

JP–I removed those posts because they were not cartridge related. The Mauser Thread was removed because this is a Cartridge Forum not a Gun Forum. I had added that comment to that thread and said I would remove it in a couple of days (giving those who wished to read it a chance to do so). Somebody else removed my post about this.

Gun information will be accepted as long as the general discussion about the gun is related to the cartridges used in it. But a post about JUST the gun will be removed.

I have had a number of private emails about the excessive non-cartridge posts lately. I was asked to be a little more strict than I have been in the past.

[quote=“RonMerchant”]JP–I removed those posts because they were not cartridge related. The Mauser Thread was removed because this is a Cartridge Forum not a Gun Forum. I had added that comment to that thread and said I would remove it in a couple of days (giving those who wished to read it a chance to do so). Somebody else removed my post about this.

Gun information will be accepted as long as the general discussion about the gun is related to the cartridges used in it. But a post about JUST the gun will be removed.

I have had a number of private emails about the excessive non-cartridge posts lately. I was asked to be a little more strict than I have been in the past.[/quote]

Hi Ron,
I thought this seldom encountered gun was of interest for people but indeed there was no ctge inside I agree.
(funny is the fact that somebody deleted your warning !)

Anyway it is not a problem because my computer is full, and my extarnal hard disk also.
Therefore I can delete a couple (just about 10000 only) of drawings and technical articles about things not interesting me (riffles; machine guns, big shells, grenades, aircrafts, canons and so on) I saved on my computer during my researchs on shotshells.

Because some people could be interested I will post a list of the subjects i have before deleting all;
And the people interested have to contact me by private mail

JP

I know this isn’t a gun forum, but you cannot separate the subject of guns and ammunition in my opinion. A scholarly study of ammunition demands a study of the guns that use it. I don’t know if the drawings on the Mauser showed it or not, because in my opinion, the caliber of that rifle would obviously be 7.9 x 57 mm, but to know that gun existed even if only in prototype makes it cartridge related. That is my opinion on that subject. I have found, over the years, that the lack of knowledge of guns that use the ammunition they collect has been very high among cartridge collectors, only exceeded by the lack of knowledge by gun collectors of the ammunition the guns they collect used. In recent years, this situation has been improving in both groups - more among the cartridge collectors than the gun collectors. It is a shame to stifle that growth of knowledge on this Forum.

O.K. That said, I will admit we all get carried away with other banter - I am guilty of that too.
But before we go too far and turn this into a stiff-necked study without social graces, let’s remember that we are all friends and that some social talk on this Forum is, due to the geographical difficulties of ever meeting everyone you know from the Forum, our only way to get to know each other and engage in the same banter those lucky enough to be able to go to eight or ten cartridge shows a year engage in constantly. If it were not for the social aspects of SLICS for example, I would not even attend that show. I haven’t found anything special in auto pistol at that show for three years. This year, I found four commercially available cartridges for my collection. I did much better at our 35 table Reno show for cartridges.

So, let’s not go overboard on this thing. We can all try to hold down some of the banter that is not related, but to eliminate it, I would predict, would cut participation in this Forum considerably.

John Moss

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr Moss’ wise wisdom in this matter.

Is this a “Cartridge” forum or a “AMMUNITION” forum? Big difference in my mind. Especially since I like learning about rockets, missiles, torpedoes, tank ammunition, grenades, large bore ammunition, fuzes ect. and to some extent the systems that fire ammunition of all types :-) Limiting it to just “cartridges” would blow in my “opinion”.

Jason

I agree with John Moss, but the recent crackdown was at the direct request of a unnamed BOD member. They are the real power behind this Forum and I am obligated to follow their orders.

Well, I really don’t hate squirrels. My apologies. Especially to the squirrels. I have sent a donation to the Save The Squirrels Foundation.

“Some guy”

. . .3, 2, 1

I think we have reached the point in the evolution of this Forum where we need to add another forum or board dealing in non-cartridge related threads. I know that I, for one, have reached the point where I open and read probably only 10% of the posts because they have nothing whatsoever to do with cartridge collecting.

And, while I’m ranting, there is nothing I hate more than “number of private emails” and “unnamed BOD member”. Who are these guys?? If they want to complain, let them do it so we all can see who they are and what they have to say. Anonymous complaints should not be tolerated!

My name is Ray Meketa, and that’s how I feel about all this much-ado-about-nothing. Can’t we all grow up and just get along?

3, 2, 1

It would be nice if there were a “ammunition related” folder, and a “IAA member activity” folder. This way, you would have two folders that would absorb all of the posts which don’t apply directly to cartridges or munitions, but which are of interest to many of the forum users. I agree with the notion of keeping the general discussion area clean and limited to posts directly related to munitions or munitions collecting, etc… but that there should be an outlet for people who want to post photos of a tank museum or of some collectible Mauser or something. We could re-ignite the old member photo thread in a folder like “IAA member activity” and this is where we could also have posts about IAA business, or notices of members who have passed on, etc… The “Ammunition related” folder could be for guns, launchers, photos of tanks & museums, etc… Access could be limited to IAA members, or posting could be limited to members, or something like that? I don’t know what goes into making a couple new folders on the forum, so I don’t mean to sound overly expectant of foregone results.

Ray, you are right!

Every forum I have seen so far had always a corner for “non related” issues. Why do we not have this?

[quote=“RayMeketa”]I think we have reached the point in the evolution of this Forum where we need to add another forum or board dealing in non-cartridge related threads. I know that I, for one, have reached the point where I open and read probably only 10% of the posts because they have nothing whatsoever to do with cartridge collecting.

And, while I’m ranting, there is nothing I hate more than “number of private emails” and “unnamed BOD member”. Who are these guys?? If they want to complain, let them do it so we all can see who they are and what they have to say. Anonymous complaints should not be tolerated!

My name is Ray Meketa, and that’s how I feel about all this much-ado-about-nothing. Can’t we all grow up and just get along?

3, 2, 1[/quote]

Are you saying you only read the posts(10%) that have nothing to do with cartridge collecting, or am I misreading your reading habits? BLASPHEMY, if that’s the case.
Am not sure why humor and satire are so offensive to the few, but it is what it is. Putting Ron in the position of being the spoilsport isn’t very nice, either. And the fact that they are “behind the curtain”, commanding from above, well, OK. It’s their football. But, it shant be long “they” will be playing by themselves. If all that’s desired is spec sheet data on posting, well, I’ll just mosey on along and not bother. There’s more to this collecting niche than that.

Slick

What I meant to say was that I open and read the first post of every thread to see the content. If it is going nowhere IMHO, I do not read subsequent posts. I admit that I read every post by certain members, but their names shall remain anonymous. ;)

Regarding those BOD members behind the curtain, don’t forget that we elect them (as opposed to that other famous wizard behind the curtain.) I’d like to know.

Rocket J. Squirrel (His real name, Now we all know).

Like I say, a “member activity” or “ammunition related” folder would take care of this. But I think I speak for most (not that anyone’s preferences are worth more than anyone elses) when I say that with respect to forums, I almost always ignore the “off topic” folder and go straight to the pertinent folder which is the primary cause of the forum. This is probably why nothing much has ever been done here to address this since most people don’t miss such a folder being here. I think it would not be a bad thing though since those who don’t care about such a folder will just continue to ignore it, while those who are looking for such a place or who are interested in off-topics will check it out. Technically this thread belongs in the “Forum tech issues, lessons learned FAQ” folder, but it will probably stay here long enough for everybody to get an opinion or idea in… hopefully.

Maybe the best way to go would be to let the Forum go on as it has, only deleting really offensive or really far, far off the subject entries. Let people socialize on the Forum, and then perhaps every 30 days, those threads that are only social banter or those particular entries that are could be removed. If everyone knew that was the policy, I don’t think too many would object, as it would give everyone who enjoys those entries a chance to read them, but only use up the space and would only archive the “relevent” stuff for future research, additions, etc. Believe me, I do want to keep this Forum at a high level, but that doesn’t mean is has to be “stuffy.” And, of course, people are free to read a thread or not as they please - no one is forcing anyone to read any single thread of part of a thread. I used to read every single entry and print out most of them. However, so much of the Forum is on artillery (to me, anything much over .50) in which I have zero interest (THAT IS NOT A COMPLAINT - I HAVE SAID BEFORE THAT EVERYONE HAS AS MUCH A RIGHT AS ANYONE ELSE TO POST AND ADD TO THREADS IN ANY AREA OF AMMUNITION RESEARCH), that I only read about 1/3 of the threads now, and due to a diminishing amount of space in my library, I print out less than ten percent.

I have no idea what kind of work that would entail for the non-paid powers to be. That has to be a consideration as well, of course.

I still think you have to be very careful when you are talking about what is a “gun” entry whether it relates to ammunition or not.

APFSDS - I think this is an Ammunition Forum, and that the stuff you like is safe. I don’t recall anyone deleting any entries over the caliber or type of ammunition being discussed.

John Moss

I for one found the topic on the cartridge that closed in on itself one of the more interesting threads lately. It was actually unusual and not the same ol’ same ol’.

Bottom line,
(and here is where I think the higher-ups get it all wrong)

What is the IAA? It is a society of members. If there were no members there would be no IAA, even if money wasn’t needed. The content of the journal comes from the members, most of the content here comes from members. For me, the biggest draw to being an IAA member is for the community. I have met a lot of neat people, and learned a lot from those people. The only thing I have learned from the actual incorporated entity called the IAA is the yearly financial summary. All of the content comes from the community.

My point in driving that in so hard is that the point of the IAA is to join people of like-interest together.

So I am interested in collecting cartridges, but that is not the extent of me. When the IAA will not allow there to be a forum that is non cartridge related, it is almost as if it is going against the very essence of what it exist for; building a community.

P.s. Think about how ridiculous it would be if at the next cartridge show you attend the organizer tells you that you are not allowed to discuss anything but cartridges. No chatter about where you are going to go for lunch, can’t mention guns, etc…plus where is the line drawn? Why can’t we mention guns but can mention bullet moulds? Etc…

John–The idea of removing certain posts after 30 days would involve a lot of work. The Forum software can be set up to delete ALL posts after a given number of days, but I don’t think it can delete only certain topics automatically. That would involve someone (ME!!) reading and re-reading posts that are 30 days old to determine what to delete. I do read every post and can make a decision at the time to delete or not, but i could not take on the added chore of 30 day deletion.

I, personally, am pretty liberal about what is on the Forum. I am asked (told) to delete things I see as being acceptable, but I am just the enforcer and have to follow the instructions of the BOD. They are ultimately in charge.

Some of the BOD are out of the country right now going to the ECRA show, but when they get back I intend to get a definitive set of rules from them of what is acceptable and what isn’t. Once I have that list, I will post it for all to see. This is if they can decide amongst themselves what is what. There is a certain amount of disagreement between them. With the pending BOD elections, this probably won’t happen until the new slate of officers is in place.

As far as adding additional Sub-Forums, the idea has been discussed a number of times. But the idea is always turned down because it tends to lead to an unending number of ever more specialized smaller forums.

As to the “Ammunition” vs “Cartridge” discussion, my opinion is almost anything related to munitions is acceptable. After all, we must remember that the longest running thread with the most posts, was about torpedo’s.

To me, a post about a gun is acceptable, as long as it is tied to a cartridge of some sort. What is un-acceptable is a discussion of this model or that model and which model is best for shooting this or that animal or the fine points of the differences in models from a gun collector’s point of view. As long as the gun post pertains to a particular model of cartridge that is used in that gun, etc., then, as far as I am concerned, the post is appropriate and will not be deleted.

N322

Great post. All points well taken. I wish I had said it. I will tuck it away in the far corner and maybe use it as my own later on. ;)

Our own elected BOD should read it before deciding what is best for the Forum and what is not.

I have no problems whatsoever with any threads or posts on the Forum. I don’t read the ones that don’t interest me but would never suggest that they be edited or deleted. But, it seems that’s the direction we head at times. That’s why I suggested a new board where the non-cartridge, non-collecting, non-ammunition, humor, politics, and 7.62x39 threads could be stored and then no one can complain about them.

But, bottom line, I am happy the way the Forum works now except for the editing/ deleting. I will never accept those as a legitimate option to fix real or imagined differences between consenting adults.

Frank