What is this 7x57 RWS

I’m not a civ ammo collector. This struck me as kinda unusual as it is highly magnetic all the way to the tip. What is it?[/img]

Looks like the first model of the TIG bullet

I have a 9,3 X 62 mm with the TUG bullet that instead the actual soft point lead tip,has this pointed copper point

Pivi… Yes sir Copper. What is a TIG bullet?? When was this made?

TIG = Brenneke Torpedo Ideal Geschoss
According to my references, designed by Wilhelm Brenneke in 1912 later followed by the TUG bullet (Brenneke Torpedo Universal Geschoss) in 1935.

It is hard to date that RWS case but probably sometime after mid 1930’s when they dropped the “N” hs. The use of the dots in RWS hs is a very confusing topic.

Pivi … Thanks I also have a 9.3x72R with a CN stepped flat nosed with lead.

Thanks all for answers… so this is maybe mid 30’s? Is it a steel core?
I’ll put up for trade. Thanks

The TIG ( and TUG) are hunting bullets of still modern configuration ( they are both still very used in Europe) . Their core is made by lead of different hardness so that they expand but also have high penetration

brenneke-munition.de/cms/tug00.html

1SFG

can you post a picture of your 9,3 X 72 R? Just to see what x72R actually is. There are several cartridges with the same basic dimensions that are not interchangeable

Is entire cartridge magnetic or just the bullet? The case looks like copper washed steel. Jack

Jack… Just the bullet… Ctg case is brass. Bullet is very magnetic, that is what I thought was so unusual.
Pivi … I do a Pic this evening of the 9.3x72T. Really long slinder slightly tapered rimmed Ctg case.

Thanks all.

Pivi … here is the a pic of the 2nd one I have.

Your 9,3 X 72R is the “normalized” ( and modern) version of this basic case that was offered in 4 different versions: German standard, English standard, Normalized and Nimrod. All these differ very slightly but they are not interchangeable

Pivi … Thanks. So which one is of any value as a collectors item? Or should I trash’em?

I think that every cartridge have a collector value. The rarest of the 9,3 X 72 R straight is the NIMROD version

Do you have a pic of the NIMROD?

I was going to upload a picture of a Nimrod that I have, but then I realized it was a 9,2 x 82R, not 72R.

Anyway, here’s the headstamp for what it’s worth.

And by the way, who or what was Nimrod, apart from a biblical king of Mesopotamia? A gunmaker?

The Bible says that King Nimrod was a “mighty hunter”.

The NIMROD GEWEHRFABRIK, THIEME & SCHLEGELMILCH (Nimrod Rifle Factory) was founded in Suhl in 1852 by Heinrich Schlegelmilch and his friend Thieme. “NIMROD” means a “mighty hunter before the Lord” and this was a tradename that THIEME & SCHLEGELMILCH adopted as a good ‘hunting’ title.

Nimrod Cartridges are:

8x64R Nimrod : EXP21 (aka 8x65R Nimrod)
9.3x72R Nimrod : EXP14
9.3x75R Nimrod : EXP15
9.3x82R Nimrod : EXP16

The 9.3x82R Nimrod (EXP16) is easily the most common ‘Nimrod’ calibre.
One characteristic that distinguishes the 9.3mm Nimrod case types is that they all have a short neck being the result of a more gradual taper from the base to about 10-11mm from the case mouth. Rim thickness do vary but the 9.3x82R in a 1912 RWS catalog was listed as an “E” type and like the 9.3x72R and 9.3x75R Nimrods, most examples have a 1.15-1.2mm rim thickness if measured correctly - bevelled rims are difficult to measure accurately. Rim diameters do vary from 12.15mm for the shorter cases up to as much as 12.57mm for the 82mm case type.

The 8x72R (aka 8x72R Brenneke or Sauer : W12) is also referrred to as “Nimrod” and is known with a “THIEME & SCHLEGELMILCH SUHL” hs.

The 6.5x70R (GSP20) is also sometimes referred to as the 6.6x70R Nimrod (eg RWS) but no examples of these have a confirmed proprietary or “N” hs but are likely to have been used in Nimrod weapons at some time.

**********Other European References to Nimrod:
The name Nimrod appears on some other headstamps as well as those produced for the Normal Powder Syndicate etc. Sellier & Bellot Schonebeck in Germany registered this name as a trademark in 1903 and it can be found on the headstamps of both printed and unprinted red shotshell cases

SK JAGD-und SPORTSMUNITIONS GmbH later also used the ‘Nimrod’ tradename on 22RF and shotshells.

Very informative, WBD. Thanks.

1 SFG

from left: 9.3 X 72 R Normalized ( reload) , Nimrod and Sauer . As you can see the Sauer round is bottleneck and has a larger base diam

9.3 X 72 R Nimrod headstamp

This is the second headstamp used by Nimrod ( 9.3 X 82 R )