What is this? (DAG TROISDORF tool blank?)

I got this rounds today, but don’t know what it is. It is a brass case headstamped “* DAG * TROISDORF”. It has a very rounded copper primer cup. It is straight walled and rimmed. Measurements are:

Case length: 0.7"
Rim diameter: 0.43"
Rim thickness: 0.04"
Outer case diameter at head: 0.39"
Outer case diameter at mouth: 0.39"
Inner mouth diameter: 0.37"

This looks to be some sort of blank with fine grey powder stuck into the bottom of the case, and appears to never have had a bullet.

Falcon–My guess is that it is a"Cattle Killer" blank probably made for Schermer or Eldea.

Cheers Ron, Did these come with nothing covering the powder charge? What is the actual calibre and cartridge name?

The only Cattle Killer I could find with dimensions anything like mine is the 9mm Behr Cattle Killer, although the measurements of my round do not match. Here is a drawing of the 9mm Behr Cattle Killer from municion.org

Here are measurements of my unidentified round in metric:

Case length: 17.92mm
Rim diameter: 10.88mm
Rim thickness: 1.04mm
Outer case diameter at head: 10mm
Outer case diameter at mouth: 10mm
Inner mouth diameter: 9.4mm

Compared to the measurements given for the 9mm Behr in metric:

Case length: 18.5mm
Rim diameter: 11mm
Rim thickness: 1mm
Outer case diameter at head: 9.65mm
Outer case diameter at mouth: 9.65mm
Inner mouth diameter: ??

However it says these came in different case lengths, but the case on my round seems too wide.

Any ideas??

Falcon–I don’t know if it will help, but I have the following 9mm Cattle Killer blanks in my collection:

9 mm CATTLE KILLER Headstamp: NFI * *
ALL RED PRIMER.; ROSE CRIMP

9 mm CATTLE KILLER Headstamp: (PLAIN) 4-PETAL CRIMP; SIMULATED BULLET; ALL BLUE PRIMER & HEAD

9 mm CATTLE KILLER Headstamp: (PLAIN) 4-PETAL CRIMP; SIMULATED BULLET

9 mm ELDEA CATTLE KILLER Headstamp: (PLAIN) 2-SM CANN. ON ROUND NOSE ZINC BULLET

9 mm SCHERMER
Headstamp: SCHERMER * KARLSRUHE *

9 mm SCHERMER CASELESS Copper Washed Steel Inside Primed CASELESS CATTLE KILLER

9 x 15 mm CATTLE KILLER
Headstamp: S.B.P. jat.9x15 K
ALL GREEN PRIMER; ROSE CRIMP

9 x 17 mm CATTLE KILLER
Headstamp: R.W.S. 9 x 17
ALL BLUE PRIMER; ROSE CRIMP

9.5 mm CATTLE KILLER
Headstamp: METALLVERKEN 9.5
ALL GREEN PRIMER; ROSE CRIMP

It could be one of those, I’m surprised no one has properly identified this yet. The exposed powder charge makes me think it is incomplete.

Falcon–Perhaps it could be something like this:

This is actually a .32 Rimfire Heel-Cup Tool Blank. They come without the Tool Spike, just a hollow plastic cup in various colors to identify the strength. The spikes come in sorts of styles and lengths. You just push the spike into the hollow cup before you fire it. I have seen these in .32 S&W Centerfire as well. So maybe yours is something like this with the Heel-Cup removed. Just a guess. But whatever it is , with that headstamp, it is most likely a Tool or Cattle Killer blank of some sort.

It could well be something like that, now just to find a tool spike to fit it. (Actually that then makes it a cartridge with a projectile under our laws so cannot be posessed without a permit).