What is this grenade? Star Of David?

Anyone know what this is? It is on ebay with a vauge description saying it is some type of grenade, possibly Italian. It seems to have a Star Of David on top of it?

Jason

I have no idea what it is, but the Italian word “Lotto” is the equivalent of “Lot” in English, among other meanings such as “lottery”, so I would say it is Italian. I don’t know what the “LC” would mean, but the “PB” could stand for Pirotecnico di Bologna. They were a major Government arsenal, but I don’t really know what they made beyond small arms ammunition, my own field. So, just guesses.

Here is the link to the auction. I wonder why their is a Star Of David on top?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … :IT&ih=019

Although I’m well-versed in my “Star of David” lore, I don’t think that piece of equipment has anything to do with Israel. This is also far out of my area of interest, but I think I have seen Czech, German, and possibly other countries’ flares and star shells marked with a six-pointed star. From the other info I would say it is an Italian illumination round.

Thanks so much Jon. You are probably right and the star most likely has nothing to do with Israel or Judaism. It just caught me off guard seeing it so boldly stamped.

As described in the auction it is an Austrian M16 grenade with impact fuze.

Boy, that word “Lotto” sure doesn’t square with this being Austrian! Could it be an Austrian device made for Italy during WWII, when they were allies, or if “M16” is the Model and indicated “1916,” could it have been captured from the Austrians by Italy during WWI and remarked after inspection at an Italian Arsenal? Is there any other explanation for the use of the word “Lotto,” rather than “Los”?

John, that article is located in Italy and that box in the background is not related to the grenade. Sometimes things are as simple as that.

Alex, my friend. Are you implying that I am simple minded? Well, obviously you are right. Lord - “Dummkopf” is my new name. I have obviously gone completely around the bend, as my friends from Oz would say. When I read your reply, I thought"what in heck is EOD talking about - the markings are right on the grenade." Then, I scrolled up to the picture. Senility really fools with the minds of the aged.

Yes, my friend, it is as simple as that - just as simple as the mind that perceived the markings to be on the cartridge. Well, only the fourth or fifth time I am embarrassed this week.

Thanks, my friend, for the catch!

John “Wunderlich” Moss

John, I just went back and checked the original auction. The seller, is selling allot of items and most of them are sitting in front of that same box so their is a very strong possibility the grenade is not related to the lotto box. I can totally see how your mind connected them :-)

Jason

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Alex, my friend. Are you implying that I am simple minded? Well, obviously you are right. Lord - “Dummkopf” is my new name. I have obviously gone completely around the bend, as my friends from Oz would say. When I read your reply, I thought"what in heck is EOD talking about - the markings are right on the grenade." Then, I scrolled up to the picture. Senility really fools with the minds of the aged.

Yes, my friend, it is as simple as that - just as simple as the mind that perceived the markings to be on the cartridge. Well, only the fourth or fifth time I am embarrassed this week.

Thanks, my friend, for the catch!

John “Wunderlich” Moss[/quote]

John Wunderlich my friend, you are by far not simple minded. I was just pretty much estonished to get such an answer after the identification. No need to feel bad at all. Next time it may happen to me.

Here in Germany we have a saying: Someone can’t see the forrest because of all the trees.