What is this large shell?

Hi guys!
Anyone know what this is? I have had for a while and a Navy friend ID’d it for me along time ago. Unfortunately, I forgot what he told me. I’ll attach a few pics. It looks like it may have been repainted a few times in its life.

The Headstamp says a few things:

BPD 13/10/70

SMI 7102

DIS 13871/D

76/6o

AUL

Italian 76mm 60 caliber Naval gun. OTO-Melara.

Single barrel, lightweight, water-cooled, rapid fire, remote controlled, dual purpose automatic enclosed naval gun
Contractor Designed by OTO Melara, Italy
Manufactured by FMC Naval Systems Division and OTO Melara
Range 10 nautical miles (11.5 statue miles, 18.4 km)
Guidance System Remotely controlled
Type of Fire 80 rounds per minute automatic
Caliber 76 mm (3 inch)

You rule! Thank you so much.

Most navies use the newer 76/62 gun. Yours is an early one.

Finmeccanica is developing two types of precision guided projectiles for naval guns, the DAVIDE, designed as a high velocity anti-aircraft munition for the Oto-Melara 76mm naval gun while Vulcano is designed for precision land attack missions, for the 127mm gun.

76mm High Velocity, Anti-Air Munition DAVIDE
The system utilizes the Driven Ammunition Reduced Time of Flight (DART) concept, with muzzle velocity of 1200 m/sec, the system enables effective interception of aerial and missile targets at ranges beyond 5 km, and up to 35 km, in shore bombardments. Davide is equipped canard control section, enabling the projectile to maneuver at loads of up to 40 gs, It is fitted with a high explosive warhead, encased inside a pre-engraved fragmentation case and is activated by a proximity microwave fuze. The system can be used as add-on to existing 76/62 mm naval guns.

You might have to expand your hobby.

The new version called “Dart” has a radio guidance so it can direct the ammunition on the missile, DART stands for “Driven Ammunition Reduced Time of flight.” This is a sub-caliber, guided projectile with canard control, intended to improve the performance of these guns in the antimissile role. DART is scheduled for service introduction in 2007. OTO-Melara claims that an average of only three of these projectiles are needed per engagement. The proximity fuzes for this munition are said to be effective within 6 feet (2 m) of the water surface and are designed to trigger when within 30 feet (10 m) of the target. A November 2005 OTO-Melara Press Release stated that firing trials with DART had been performed at PISQ (Poligono Interforze Salto di Quirra), an Italian interservice firing range located in Sardinia. During the firing trials, the DART projectiles correctly entered and followed the guidance beam and manuevered within the accuracy requirements for distances over 5,500 yards (5,000 m). This is seen as a crucial milestone, as these tests showed that DART can be successfully guided over the expected engagement ranges

WOW! I may have to expand my collection and try hunting down a inert example of that! I doubt a inert one of those will ever show up. What great pictures and diagrams of that gun system. I wonder if it would be a good idea to attempt to repaint the projectile t match your pics? Grateful for the detailed information on this.

Is the blue over or under the red? It may have been all blue TP and then painted red to match the HE display seen in the photo.

Most buyers will be more interested in something well painted.

Thank you. It looks like the red is over the blue.