What is this ? - Match Safe from Eley 577/450

Some form of trench art or ???

Cheers

John

looks like you can make out the letters…ELEY…paul

JohnKindred:

LOOKS LIKE A MATCH SAFE THAT IS MISSING THE BULLET. THE STRIATIONS ON THE HEAD OF THE CARTRIDGE WERE TO ASSIST IN STRIKING THE MATCH.

My bet is a match case from a .577/450.

Thanks Guys,

Does look like an Eley 577/450.

Factory or home made??

John

JohnKindred:

I’M GOING TO STICK MY NECK OUT JUST A LITTLE AND SAY THAT I THINK THE BULK OF THESE MATCH SAFES WERE MADE IN SMALL SHOPS. I THINK YOUR’S IS MOST LIKELY ONE OF THESE. NEARLY ALL OF THESE I HAVE OWNED LACK ANY MAKER’S MARK. CUTTING AND ATTACHING THE HINGE TAKES A PERSON WITH AT LEAST A BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF METAL WORKING. THE STRIATIONS ON YOUR EXAMPLE, ALTHOUGH NOT PERFECT, SHOW AGAIN THAT THE WORK WAS DONE BY A PERSON WITH SOME METAL WORKING TALENT.

ONE OF THE SIMPLEST MATCH SAFES TO MAKE, USED BY THE OLD DUCK HUNTERS AND OTHERS, WAS TO LOAD YOUR MATCHES IN A FIRED EMPTY 16 GAUGE SHELL AND CAP IT WITH A FIRED EMPTY 12 GAUGE SHELL. SOME HUNTERS KNOCKED THE FIRED PRIMER OUT OF ONE OR THE OTHER OF THE SHELLS SO THEY WOULD FIT TOGETHER SMOOTHLY AND OPEN EASILY, A LITTLE GUN OIL RUBBED ON THE OUSIDE OF THE 16 GAUGE SHELL ALSO HELPED.

GWB,

from the look of the work involved I would have to agree it was done by someone with at least rudimentary tools and abilities.