What is your funniest ammo story?

Well, one day, I was in NC to visit my sister, and stopped at a small store called 2 Fliqqin Roosters or something of that nature. They knew nothing about ammo (or were just trying to scam you). There was a bucket of full of rounds labeled “Anything in bucket $1.00”. Among them were .270s, .308s, .45-70s, other common items, and spent .22 brass! They were also selling 10 linked 5.56 blanks as Civil War training ammo. This got me thinking, what is your funniest ammo related story?

When I was in secondary school (high school to you) in the mid 2000s, I had a .303 cartridge keychain.

We were put in groups of four or five people to complete some sort of group exercise. A girl who had been assigned to the same table saw it, and refused to sit on the table. She apparently thought it was a live cartridge and it was possible that it could spontaneously fire by itself.

This is actually a prime example of how ill-informed people are about anything to do with firearms.

Another example of complete lack of understanding - some years back I despatched a young woman police constable to an empty house to pick up some ammunition that a builder had found in the basement. the item as it turned out was one solitary round of WW2 .303.
The poor girl (terrified of such things) drove about ten miles and through a busy town centre, holding the cartridge in the tips of her fingers with her arm straight out of the open window, whilst driving and changing gear solely with her other free arm.
Perhaps I should not have laughed at her when she told me the story, but I could not contain myself when I saw that it was a dummy/drill round.

Jim Buchanan

Most of mine also involve general ignorance on the part of people unfamiliar or afraid of firearms and ammunition and I’d rather not share… But I do have a few that are noteworthy and worth a chuckle…

Prior to deploying overseas for Operation Desert Storm in 1990, my Marine Corps unit went to the firing range for refamiliarization and practice with our crew served weapons, the M2 .50 caliber and M60E3 7.62x51mm machine guns.

The ammunition techs showed up late with our truckload of .50 cal and 7.62 ammunition. We were allotted about 10,000 rounds of .50 cal and 20,000 rounds of 7.62. They got the .50 API/APIT correct but instead of the usual 7.62 M80 ball linked with M62 tracer, they made a mistake and sent us 10,000 rounds of linked 7.62 M82 BLANK cartridges… Of course, we had no blank firing adapters for the M60s so we could not even make use of what we had… Our platoon sergeant, a crusty old Vietnam War multiple tour combat vet, was so angry that he let loose a tirade of every possible variation and conjugation of the “F” word that any of us young Marines had ever heard… It was truly impressive.

After the cease of hostilities at the end of Desert Storm everyone was going around to the other units in the area to swap and barter for war souvenirs. I of course was looking for 7.62x39mm cartridges, as that is what I have collected since before high school… I found our unit armorer with a box of assorted x39s he had acquired from captured weapons that were turned in to the armory. While I was pawing through the box and trying not to look to excited at all of the new head stamps he pointed out the green tipped T-45 tracer rounds and said “look, they have NATO ball too.” in reference to our issued green tipped M855 5.56 ball ammunition… I managed to not laugh and successfully convinced him to let me grab a handful of cartridges out of the box…

Lastly, at the end of a training exercise, my unit had a bunch of left over, linked 7.62 M82 blanks for the M60s. Well, most of us Marines were dirty, hungry and tired and had no interest in burning up the blanks just so we didnt have to turn them back in to supply. We wanted to eat, shower and sleep. One of the cute, young female Marines that fixed our radios and such mentioned that she had ever fired an M60 before. Someone set her up behind gun with a 100 round belt of blanks and she proceeded to have the time of her life shooting them off. Someone noticed that when she was firing the machine gun, the recoil, even though from just blanks, was making her very nicely shaped rear end wiggle. Next thing I knew, Marines were grabbing belts of blanks and standing in line to give them to the girl so she could keep shooting and they could keep watching the show…

AKMS

We made our first range trip during my IDF basic infantry training. A large part of my group was recent Ethiopian immigrants who did not have much technical knowledge or experience. After we fired our first mags we went down to the targets to see the results and the sergeants started berating “Darage” for not shooting correctly. I looked over and saw that one of the clowns had stuck an unfired 5.56 round into “Darage’s” target. They were giving him a hard time for not pulling the trigger hard enough. He was dumb-founded and I had all I could do to not bust out laughing and bringing attention to myself.
A good time was had by all…eventually.

About ten years ago, a “Little Old Lady” friend of my Mom asked me to remove some ammunition that her long deceased husband had left behind in the garage. I showed up at her place and knocked on the door. She made me think that I was in over my head when she asked me why I wasn’t wearing a protective suit! I figured that I would take a look and call in the EOD team from Fairchild AFB if it was that dangerous. She took me to the back door of the garage, told me where the ammo was, and hustled herself back into the safety of her house. I was kind of excited even when I spotted the small box on the shelf plainly marked “BULLETS”. There were a couple dozen commercial rounds that yielded a few for my collection. I think there were three different headstamps of .351 Winchester SLR and a couple of interesting .410 shot shells. I dumped them into a zip lock baggy and headed back to the house to report mission accomplished. She visibly flinched every time I rolled the cartridges around in the bag. She explained that her husband used to take “the girls” out to shoot his guns, but that hadn’t happened since the last daughter left for college about 1970. I asked about the Winchester and she said that her son in law got it. Then she added that he collected the rifle, and I suppose the shotgun too, a few months before the couple divorced. It made me think: “I know this guy, or at least three guys like him!”

Some months ago my girlfriend sent me a message “honey, I found and bought some cases for you at the local flea market”.
“OK, tell me what are the letters on the bottom” “norma 8 x 57 JRS”…
Well, I didn’t have that 8 x 57 JRS headstamp…but I was surprised when I discovered that the case wasn’t really a rimmed one…

Some years ago the British MoD decided to replace the Royal Navy’s 30mm Oerllkon guns with the ATK 30mm MK44 Chain Gun in a new, remotely controlled mounting. They proudly boasted that their decision was good value for money because they could use up the existing stocks of Oerlikon practice ammo in the new guns. It appears that they had no idea that the 30x170 Oerlikon ammo was not interchangeable with the 30x173 MK44 ammo. They had presumably read the MK44 brochure as far as the bit which says “can use 30mm Oerlikon ammo” without reading on to the small print which says “but you need a different barrel to do so”. Needless to say, the cost of the extra barrels would have greatly outweighed the saving on the ammo…

Nice to know that our procurement decisions are in the hands of experts in the subject, isn’t it?

My dad and I went to the local range to shoot… His 300 weatherby mag was keyholing very badly for some reason. Turns out 270wby chambers and fires just fine.

Also, 9mm will shoot once in a 40S&W, held in place by the extractor.

This is another one I remembered the other day. At school, aged seven, I drew a series of drawings labelled “how to throw a grenade” as my ex Royal Marine grandfather had described to me. The last one was labelled something like “explodes and shoots out metal bits”. The female class teacher saw it and said “that’s awful, in fact so awful I’m taking it away before any of the other children see it”.

Ignorance is sure entertaining. Years ago one of our members dropped a pinfire at a gun show that went off. Show operator almost had him arrested. They never found the case but the bullet was about 3" from where the round hit the floor.
Gourd

Maybe five years ago I found a small pile of blown-out and split .40 S&W cases on the ground at the range. Apparently, someone must have fired them in a .45 ACP pistol. No idea if the .45 functioned, probably not. I would have liked to have been there. They looked somewhat like the 9mm case pictured above.

Another good one. Well, my mom broke her ankle a month ago. One of her friends baked her a loaf of bread. Well, we forgot about it in the breadbox, and it went stale. I shot at it, and to my amazement, it mushroomed a 3" .410 slug at 1800 fps out to at least .75 inches. It also clogged up some .22 hollow points. I still wonder what was in that bread.

Long story short, a homemade loaf of bread stopped .410 slugs and .22 hollow points travelling through the short side (IE, tipped up, so around 1 inch).

Sooooooooo, then day-old bakery surplus stores would make a good defensive position. Something to keep in mind.
Or, one of us could market a product called “Bake-a-Bunker”!

Ballisti-Bread™?

hello
for pivi maybe a transformation for firing on 8x57 JS when the ammo cannot be obtained for some reasons