What Was Purpose of USGI 40 Rd. Box of .45 ACP Projectiles?

Gentlemen:

Over the years I have picked up, from different sources, the two full boxes of bullets pictured below. I opened one, carefully, and found that as I expected it contained only .45 ACP FMJ projectiles. These boxes do not contain loaded cartridges.

Can anyone here please provide me with the explanation for these bullets? The obvious choice seems to be bullets for reloading, but if so under what circumstances in the 20th Century would it have been necessary or desirable for US military personnel to be engaged in reloading of pistol ammunition? (I realize that this occurred in the 19th Century to a certain extent.) Can anyone provide a time frame for when these bullets in this packaging were produced by the Frankford Arsenal? And why 40 bullets instead of 20 or 50?

I have searched my Tech Manuals, Woodin & Hackley and other sources and have come up dry on these.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Government-produced cartridge components were regularly available from the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) from the 1920s until at least the 1960s for members of the National Rifle Association. I think earlier in the 20th century these components might have been available through other, but similar, channels. Whether components, like these .45 auto bullets, were for civilian or military use I don’t know. Jack

What Jack said. Bullets and other components (cases & primers) were made available to shooters through the old DCM, and as issue to militia units. Most collectors of US military have cartons of all three. The reason for the 40 round carton is probably as simple as it was an existing carton, probably for loaded cartridges, that was used because it was available.

Ray

Thank you, gentlemen. Those explanations certainly make sense.

Regards,
Charlie

Making sense is certainly a first for me. ;-)

BTW, I have boxes of Cal .30 bullets, primers, and cases with the same type of pasted-on FA label, ca. 1940s. Maybe that will help to date yours.

Ray