What's a tesching?

OK, it’s Sunday and all stupid questions are allowed on this day only.

What is a tesching? I googled it and it appears that it can be anything from a scorpion to naked wimmin. ;-)

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]OK, it’s Sunday and all stupid questions are allowed on this day only.

What is a tesching? I googled it and it appears that it can be anything from a scorpion to naked wimmin. ;-)

Ray[/quote]

Hello Ray
the english traduction is “nightmare” !!
the Tesching ctges are german or Austrian ctges for small bore rifles or target pistols.

I use (and it is wrong) the term Tesching to talk about the German sporting ctges.

Brad will explain you better than me.

He listed about 800 different ctges in his two books. And the double with the new book (vol 3) I hope he will make !!!

If you use the only dimensions bullet diameter and case length it is not enough because the rim and base diameters are different.
AND ALSO the shape could be different even with these 4 dimensions.
Therefore you have many many variations.

Brad was very smart to sort them not by bullet diameter and case length but by the original case they are coming from (rim diameter and base diameter).

His two books are very very well made and I recommend them to every guy who wants to collect european (non British) sporting ctges.

But it is very very difficult to find a ctge if you jut enter the bullet diameter and length of the ctge.
Because the real bullet diameter can change due to the time (lead bullets)
And if you measure 10 mm bullet diameter you have to check 9.55; 9.5, 9.6; 9.7; 9.8; 9.95; 10 and this will give you about 20 entries !!

When I used to collect them I wrote a program where the first input was raised rim or not, then rim diameter, then base diameter, neck diameter, length.
Bullet diameter was not included in the program because of the too many variations (neck diameter been more accurate)

And I think it is like that you have to do.

To make things more difficult most of the dimensions in the book are maxima dimensions.
Therefore you need to adjust you program.

And after you have to deal with the shape !!

Very interesting book, a good gift for xmas !!

JP

Tesching, like Stutzen, has no clear definition.

It generally means a light, cheap rifle, firing a cartridge of only limited power. Similar to calling all automatic pistol a Browning. The true origin of the word is unknown to me.

jp and JP

Thanks for the explanations. Now I can understand why I was having trouble finding the meaning of the word.

Ray

The word “Tesching”, and its variations “Teschin”, “Teschinke” and “Techin”, originates from the town of Cieszyn in Silesia (“Teschen” in German; “Těšín” in Czech), which has a quite complicated history but between 1815 and 1919 used to be a province of the Kingdom of Prussia. The earliest form was “Tschinke” and can be found in German texts from mid 18th to mid 19th century. Also, texts as early as 1850 indicate that the term came from Teschen in Austrian Silesia because the first lightweight small bore rifles were made there, so this is not a modern interpretation.

Regards,

Fede

Fede, that is a most interesting explanation and sounds very reasonable.

When I wrote ESC, none of the German collectors that I communicated with at that time (c1995) had such an explanation. I would be most interested in hearing where you read about that ?

Brad, the most important source I have found is Johann Christian Schedel’s allgemeines Waaren-Lexicon für kaufleute, fabrikanten und geschäftsleute überhaupt, Zweiter Band (Volume 2) published in Leipzig in 1851. The relevant text says:

Teschings, Teschinken [plural form]. Der Name, welcher Büchsen beigelegt wird, die keine halblöthigen Kugel schießen, soll von Teschen in österr. Schlesien herrühren, wo man sie zuerst gebaut haben will. Die amerikanische Büchse, die sehr leicht ist, ein langes Rohr hat und nur 120 bis 160 Kugeln auf’s Pfund schießt, ist nach obiger Begriffsbestimmung ein Tesching”.

This is the original:

It is interesting that the text cites the American “Long Rifle” (Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle) as an example that fits the “Tesching” definition.

Regards,

Fede

Thanks for that Fede - once again your archives (and your wonderful knowledge of them) can provide something of interest for everyone on this forum. Most impressive !

See Ray - it just shows that even a ‘stupid question’ can ‘bring to light’ info that most of us didn’t know existed.