Whats your best surprise find?

Ok Guys a wee bit off topic but seeing as I can’t do any collecting at the moment and I’m away from my collection (and suffering withdrawal symptoms):

What’s your best surprise find?

I mean those times that you’re going through a bin full of ammo and you find something that you didn’t expect or you get the good old “So, you collect bullets, do ya? Hang on a moment, I’ve got some here you can have.”

I think my best would be a round of .55 Boys I found in a cube at work. Got that and some other ammo for NZ$20. Either that or I had a guy give me a Hornady projectile box full of old ammo after I emailed him asking about a round of .303 Pygmy.

So come on guys let’s hear 'em

I found an Austrian 7.63 Mauser dummy that was thought to exist only on a shop drawing. I have the only one I know of, love to hear about any others.

At the last SLICS (even though this is where rare finds should obviously be made) I was surprised as heck to find an original box of “Onslaught” 357mag cartridges with a mint condition label, etc… and for only $10.00. I thought these were really rare to find a package of, but maybe it’s just because I’m young and everyone else got these back int he 80’s when they were being sold?

I guess the best surprise find I ever got was two full boxes of German 9mm Stahlhelmabnahme Patronen (steel helmet test loads) with steel cases and yellow lacquered primers, from WWII and unknown until I got them. Those came from a customer of the gun shop I worked at.

The best surprise find at a show was at St. Louis, and was a .32 auto, an old cartridge but a headstamp I have never heard of “AUTOMATIC 7.65.” I have over 1000 .32s, and while I know of plenty that I don’t have, it is seldom I ever hear of one, much less get it, that I never even heard of (not counting newly produced stuff, of course).

Fun moments!

I know that John has had Many, Many great finds and some of the best items in my collection have been the fallout of John’s finds.

My most recent high point was to find a 9mmP with the headstamp illustrated below which was only known from a copy of photo in a Romanian book on Forensic Science that Liviu was kind enough to send me.

Jon C, congratulations on a Great headstamp!!! Very nice.

I bought this M88 not long ago for about $25 on a local auction site.
So that`s good luck.

451kr.

Lew,
Is that U 9 S 48 headstamp Romanian? Do you know what the letters stand for?

My best find: a 12 mm Raphael cartridge in perfect conditions paid 7 euros only

Probably a British 15mm BESA case labeled as an “old shell case” that I found in an antique shop. I paid

There were some great finds but this one was really neat:

7.62x54R Shkas round with brass case reported only in documents.

Very nice Yuri! What is the date of manufacture? Is this an inerted cartridge or just a dud primer?

AKMS

This is probably not the most valuable or exciting thing I have (cause I don’t know enough to appreciate some I have) but it sure was exciting.

A friend that use to work in a gunshop hailed me in the hardware store he now works in and said he had something for me. I followed him into the back where he handed me a grocery bag full of loose rounds and this box! I had never actually seen one of these (only pics) and to be given one… a full box from the 20’s or so… was just…, well, COOL! It’s one of my favorite full-box pieces.

How come I never find any surprises! I pay through the nose for every good cartridge I find. When somebody calls and says they have a sack-full of old cartridges to give me I rush over to their house and get it. It always turns out to be a sack-full of . . .

Ray

[quote=“AKMS”]Very nice Yuri! What is the date of manufacture? Is this an inerted cartridge or just a dud primer?

AKMS[/quote]

1. This is deactivated cartridge. It’s illegal to collect live ammo here in Russia.

got this as a free bonus in a trade with comment ‘don’t know what it is but maybe you’ll find it’

Max,
I remember to having seen this exciting picture here in the forum not very long ago and maybe then already asked you the below before. So please excuse when I did, but all my data is in my old computer which broke down and I have no access to that for now.

1. Was the bullet loaded into the case?
  2. If so, what is the case’s headstamp?
    Спасибо!

[quote=“Hans”]Max,
I remember to having seen this exciting picture here in the forum not very long ago and maybe then already asked you the below before. So please excuse when I did, but all my data is in my old computer which broke down and I have no access to that for now.

1. Was the bullet loaded into the case?
  2. If so, what is the case’s headstamp?
    Спасибо![/quote]

Hans, i got the round disassembled.

This is XPL cartridge designed to be faired from AKM with conical barrel muzzle attachment. For test purposes were used different cases from different plants and different years. All of them were laboratory reloads.

Yuri,
it is a fantastic find. Can you guess a period of time for those activities?

[quote=“Hans”]Yuri,
it is a fantastic find. Can you guess a period of time for those activities?[/quote]

It was between latest 60th and early 70th before 5.45 was adopted. Kalashnikov was strongly against caliber 5.45.