Whatzit

See attached pic - any ideas what this is ??

Jim!

Whatzit|690x459

trying again to post the pic.

Jim

Is it a 12GA?

Where did you get it?

Isn’t it obvious? It’s #5!
Some kind of primer-fired tool/device?

A cartridge for waist gunners?

I’m going to call the end opposite the primer the “top”, so - questions: Does the top move, such as pull off, turn, unscrew. If it pulls forward; does it come completely away from the “case” or is it attached (like spring loaded)?
If so, have you seen the inside?
I speculate it is indeed a tool and my guess is it is used as a stamp or bunter. Guessing here - once inserted a tool it would be placed against a surface (metal?) then fired. The primer would provide enough power to drive the ‘bullet’ froward and leave the #5 stamped (as a raised #) - assuming the 5 is impressed and not raised (on the ‘bullet’ end). I note the hole near the head and think it is a vent allowing gasses to exit in a safe direction.
Or, it is a Whatzit, as you state, and is meant to keep kids busy :)

EOD,

Item is not mine, pics sent to me by another (non IAA member) he tells me it is about the size of a 12ga.

Jim

Savage,
I dont think this can be a bunter as the cap is only thin soft brass and the number 5 is only lightly scratched in. A better/quicker job of stamping could be done by a hand stamp.

Jim

Jim,
Does it fit in a 12 ga. chamber? (Or any ga.?) So one could stick an oiled rag in it and “blow your barrel clean.”
Dan

Maybe a “load” for mortar practise?
We had “Donald Duck” practice rounds in '85 for 60mm and 81mm mortars when i was in the Danish army.
Just enough umph to empty the tube and fly 10-15 feet.

The one picted looks to be reloadable ours was disposeable.

Why is there a hole on the side?

sksvlad,

Hole in the side - I have no idea - and why the strange shape ? it does not chamber in any conventional shotgun - the front end with the cap is slightly larger dia than the back end. and the rear end is not ideal profile for any conventional extractor to work on. The brass cap on the front end is fixed on firmly and it rattles when shaken. I do not think this is a cartridge in the normal sense but perhaps? a part of some obscure military device ?
My friend was given it by another old collector who had no idea what it was either.
Jim

Chickenthief, for a mortar the case would need to allow a side blow out, hence the use of cardboard.
Denmark used regular propelling cartridges without incremental charges and the 81mm mortar projectiles sometimes had axial vent holes so even more gas was escaping.

The Danish 60mm are used with 7.62x51 blanks.

Kiln gun or such?