When change isn't good!

For years Federal has been known, at least in my circles, as cheaper munitions but for many years Federal shotshells were easily recognized by the flying mallard in the headstamp. Even shells without the Federal name, perhaps in a box bearing the name of Sears or Revelation, were easily recognized as Federal-made by ‘the duck’. But now the duck is gone! Even shotshells now carry a silly looking symbol which requires study to recognize that its a bullet pushing energy waves or something. Even the colorful boxes that once boasted a graceful mallard duck, in full color, or a brightly dressed shooting gentlemen have been replaced by dull gray and black with a headstamp that isn’t even in the box! Even if they were only plated, the primers matched the heads and seemed to ‘fit’. Now, they use a cheap steel that tends to rust and looks to large for the hole. Except for the lack of anything else, there is no way to know who made these new shells!

The shell at the top is an older Federal buckshot load from the 1990’s with the flying mallard between 20 and GA. The lower one is a current production buckshot load.

Are you sure it is original Federal or is it not brand label?

Hans

Cheif

When you talk about change not being good, that’s a sure sign you’re getting old. I’ve already reached the stage where NO change is good and EVERYTHING from the last century was better.

In these days when Big W is no longer Winchester and Big Green is no longer Remington, I suppose it has to follow that Federal is no longer Federal but is ATK or some such. That’s why collecting the “old” stuff is more attractive to me and many others. (That philosophy also applies to other things, such as women.)

As Hans said, it may be that Federal doesn’t even make their own shotshells anymore.

Ray

Basically, you can never be sure who makes what, or where. Not only with ammo either. Guns, scopes etc just as bad.
When we talk about a global economy now its the truth.

[quote=“RayMeketa”]When you talk about change not being good, that’s a sure sign you’re getting old. I’ve already reached the stage where NO change is good and EVERYTHING from the last century was better.
[/quote]
Ray, I think you made a typing error there - you meant from the 19th century, didn’t you? ;-)

Tony

I only look that old. ;)

My dad was born in the 19th Century and I remember him telling me how things were always better in the “old days”. But being wiser than him, I dismissed it as the ramblings of an old man. I’ve now become him, and he is now much smarter than I used to think he was.

Ray

“When I was 22 I knew all of the answers. Now I’m 62 I don’t even know the questions.”