White Boxed Remingtons

Would like some information on Remington ammunition, white box w/black letters, see picture below. I have seen a few of these around in varying calibers as this .30 Remington from my collection. Have also seen a box of 25/35 WCF. Both calibers had FMJ bullets. When was this ammunition made and in what calibers? Was all the calibers in FMJ bullets only or were there soft points also available? Lastly, why did Remington not use their standard boxes? Thanks again for educating me.

I’m gonna make a guess. Part of the Civilian Ammunition Program of WW II that provided ammunition to farmers for animal control???

Ray

Ray–I don’t think this box dates from WW-II. It is more likely 1950’s. In the last Remington catalog before ending civilian ammunition production, 1942, the Index Number for this load was “R128”. In 1946, on resumption of production, they changed all the Index Numbers to 4 digit numbers and the #2330 was assigned to this load. However, the 1946 catalog lists this load as one of the many, while in the catalog, that are shown with the footnote “Not Available in 1946”.
The #2330 load was not available until 1947. I assume the box contains cartridges with the “REM-UMC” headstamp. So, it would date between 1947 and 1960, when the headstamp was changed to “R - P”

For what it’s worth…

I have been under the impression that these FMC loadings of popular sporting calibers were intended for law enforcement and prison agencies. Model 8/81 Remingtons and 94 Winchesters were often used as well as '07 Winchesters for which you can find FMC .351 S.L. and extended magazines. .25-35 is a little strange, but I do recall seeing FMC loads in a “generic” Remington box some time ago. I was given a box of Remington .30-30 (properly marked commercial box) with 160 gr. FMC bullets that had come from a police department that had retired their old Winchesters. I’d have to check, but I think it’s rubber stamped with an early '60s date and I got it back in the late '70s. Perhaps the “generic” boxes came about as demand dwindled below that warranted for full production runs of regular packaging?

Dave

Years ago I was given a box in a similar (or identical) style which had held full patch .303 British cartridges. At the time I received it it contained the original fired brass, with a REM-UMC headstamp. Jack

The headstamp on all the cartridges are R-P marked.

remchester–With the “R - P” headstamp and no “Warning–Keep out of reach of children” label, the box would date between 1961 & 1963.

Got out the Remington .30-30 box. My memory missed a bit on the rubber stamp date. Someone stamped it DEC 21 1956 . If I follow Mr. Fraser’s code breaking system right, the H31B4 inside the box flap means 2nd half of 1955. I guess that works.

Looking at a 1951 Gun Digest I see Remington listed metal cased loads for typically sporting calibers in .25-35 / 117 gr., .30-30 / 160 gr., .30 Rem. / 160 gr., .35 Rem / 200 gr., and .351 WSL / 177 gr. When do these loadings drop off the map?

Remchester’s question of what other calibers and loads are found in the white box is a good one that I hope can be answered! Another thing I was wondering on was if there were sporting uses for these FMC loads (like “Trapper” loads for the .25-35, etc.) or was the market mostly law enforcement applications?

Thanks,
Dave

I believe it was the gun writer Jack O’Conner that stated while hunting in the arctic he saw many boxes of 25-35 fmj ammunition that was stocked for seal hunters. The famous Utah grizzly bear Old Ephraim was shot by sheep hunter Frank Clark on August 22 1923. In Franks own words he said he used his favorite rifle in caliber 25-35 using “steel ball” ammunition.