White tip on Iraqi 14.5x114

Gents, is there any info available on Iraqi color markings of SAA?

Right now it would be of interest to ID the meaning of a long white tip on a 14.5x114. (I am aware of the meaning in the WAPA area).

Nobody???

Alex, I don’t have documentation on Iraqi color markings but my guess would be an API type. Do you have pictures and/or measurements of a pulled projectile? Does it looks like the Chinese one?

Nothing pulled, sorry.

What do you consider to be the Chinese type?

An once we are on them, they also do exist in 7.62x39.

Alex, I am referring to the Chinese 14.5 mm API projectiles found with a long white tip.

Are you sure they are not Romanian ballistic standard rounds?
Could you tell the hs of such a round?

Yes, we are thinking of the same round headstamped 311 88. A sectioned white tipped projectile was reported to be a typical Chinese API type. Are these now confirmed as Roumanian ballistic standard rounds?

Those were US reload tracers I was told.
Hans

Yes, they are Romanian. Clearly visible when you look at the case head and color seals. They also do exist as HPT loads with a long black tip.
But what makes the projectiles Chinese?

Those were US reload tracers I was told.
Hans[/quote]

Hans are any more details available on that one?

I seem to recall there were different colour tips, white was only one of them. And there were copies of English language box labels. If I find in my drawers I can post it here.

Hans

Somebody used Iraqi cases for gun show loads?

I having trouble following the following subject of the discussion.
Is the discussion about 14.5x114mm ammunition or is it about 7.62x39mm ammunition or both? :-)

Brian

[quote]Yes, they are Romanian. Clearly visible when you look at the case head and color seals. They also do exist as HPT loads with a long black tip.
But what makes the projectiles Chinese?[/quote]
Well, there was a long discussion about this case as being Chinese or Roumanian made, and it was reported that a sectioned projectile was a standard API projectile of Chinese type. I have re-read the thread and it doesn’t seem to be any sort of agreement on the origin of this round, it look like a matter of faith! I didn’t had a solid opinion on this subject but is good to know that the current conclusion is that these are Roumanian.

Fede which thread or who discussed this?

To hose studying 14.5 there is no boubt that these are Romanian.

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2582

Ah, this thread. A lot of discussions we had there.

As Liviu said there already, many countries were using the same codes and there is absolutely nothing unusual to the 311 being used in China and Romania.
After all I still stick with the Romanian version here as (for me) it is undoubtedly made there. We also shall not forget taht this code is out of the “year coded series” where the factory code was changing with every year in a 5 year or 10 year cycle. Means there is also other Romanian codes of this series which noone will attribute to China.
And if it would be Chinese we should see the 311 on these 14.5 with continuous years (what can’t happen in Romania).

But back to the question how do Chinese 14.5 projectiles do differ from others?

[quote=“bdgreen”]I having trouble following the following subject of the discussion.
Is the discussion about 14.5x114mm ammunition or is it about 7.62x39mm ammunition or both? :-)

Brian[/quote]
Brian, it is about “White tip on Iraqi”. :-)

Hans