Whitworth Bullet

This is my first post so first of all hello to everyone.

I haven’t worked out how to send photos yet (I have seen the info on the tech issues page) but as soon as I have I upload a couple.

In the mean time can anyone help with identification of a hexagonal Whitworth bullet I have.

It weighs approx 490grs, approx .454in (11.55mm) dia, 1.46in (37.36mm) length and has a paper sleeve with “Whitworth Patent” written in old fashioned writing. At the base is a leather or felt disc with a thin metal disc with 6 small holes in. I’ve been told it is a clean out bullet but I can find no information on it.

Howdy AmmoTech79c
Welcome to the IAA forum
The round below (somewhat dark) is how the completed round should look. This has two ‘washers’ at the bullet base, a thin one with 6 holes on the exterior and what appears to be a thicker, inner washer.
I have this round listed a under a Nov 6, 1885 patent # 2856.
I believe your correct the tin washer as somewhat of a clean-out function.

As promised here are a couple of photos, the 22 Rimfire is for comparison purposes

Many thanks for the picture of the complete round. I might have got the description slightly incorrect by indicating it had a paper sleeve but the base looks similar.

Pete, wonderful cartridge! These are some excerpts from the No. 2856 patent dated November 4, 1865:

Thanks for posting this info, I can now add some notes to my records.