Who died?

A gun dealer in Illinois has a large old collection on consignment which he is auctioning on GUNBROKER.com. He does business as CANDU.

He decribes the collection so;

“This is part of a large collection of historical military items. The owner of the collection had been collecting since 4 years of age. He lived near a military base during his childhood years. This collection is quite large with thousands of pieces, approximately 80% U.S. with some rare, experimental and one of a kind items. Many items have been acquired from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds as well”.

Some of these items I have not seen for sale since the CHICAGOLAND show run by the late Bob Strauss 40 years ago.

I am not collecting and so am not buying BUT would like to know who the collection belonged to.

Many collectors just pass away without notice. That is a shame.

Here’s the company handling the sell-off with pictures:

ratworxusa.com/pagCollection.aspx

I asked them who’s it was. They wouldn’t say. Not sure that the collector is dead.

Back before I decided to start unloading, I acquired quite a few of the pictured items. An unbelievable collection.

It may be from a collector who died many years ago and whose surviving inheritor is only now putting stuff up for sale. It also might be from a gun or militaria collector who collected ammo & ordnance items on the side and who was not a member of the IAA, or who kept a low profile. It could also just be a made up story, but that seller has decent feedback, so it’s probably true.

Yes, all those things +. As for the seller, a top notch crew there. One of the best on GB, by far.

Some of the listings on GB say the collector recently passed away at the age of 75…no name…

Randy

I’ve dealt with Rat Worx, even bought a few things from him. He’s primarily into guns, and the cartridges are a sideline. I’ve talked to him and the Mrs. over the phone a couple of times and he and she impressed me as being honest. (Of course, a crook also pretends to be honest).

I’ve been buying on GB for several years, and on 2 or 3 other auction sites and from individuals who have very nice collectable cartridges. Only a couple of them are IAA members. One or two have since joined but most simply are not “club” types.

Ray

From the items which I am seeing the collector had to be active 40 or more years ago as well as within the last couple of decades. 4 is pretty young to start an ammo collection. I was 8 and looking back; that was too young to have live ammo but I did. I now wish that I had the ammo which I tore apart just to burn the powder !

[quote=“SlickRick”]Here’s the company handling the sell-off with pictures:

ratworxusa.com/pagCollection.aspx

I asked them who’s it was. They wouldn’t say. Not sure that the collector is dead.

Back before I decided to start unloading, I acquired quite a few of the pictured items. An unbelievable collection.[/quote]

Thank you. I see some items there which I sold. If I still had a memory I would know who it was. Some of these items get sold and resold so maybe not. This is a nice general collection.

The collection being sold is part of the estate of Bob Faris, Wickenburg, AZ. He was employed as a Small Arms Civilian Test Technician at Aberdeen Proving Ground and later Yuma Proving Ground before he retired in the early 1980’s.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]The collection being sold is part of the estate of Bob Faris, Wickenburg, AZ. He was employed as a Small Arms Civilian Test Technician at Aberdeen Proving Ground and later Yuma Proving Ground before he retired in the early 1980’s.

Ray[/quote]
Ray, I knew Bob’s stuff pretty well and the items pictured on the website are not his. I would expect it will be some time, if ever, before any of his collection becomes available. Bob died on the 12th of this month. He was 82. JH

My mistake. :(

This fellow seems more likely to be local to that shop in Illinois. Shipping that heavy hardware is a serious job and expense. If you don’t believe me I will introduce you to my hernia doctor. I have packed and hefted tons of this junk.

Sorry to hear that Faris has passed on. He was an asset to the community for many years.

Some really good stuff showing up on this sale. Too bad I am not collecting any more.