Who is this? 12.7x99 50bmg "AL .50 II 65"

Fuchs lists AL as unknown

1 Like

Is it something Swiss?

I have it listed as Italy

1 Like

Can you post pictures of your headstamps? Why Italy?
I looked through all of my drawers and 3stake primers were FN and SBS. I prob missed a few others. The flat primer I have looks weird as well. Reload?

Can’t speak to the one on the right, but my example is identical to the one on the left. I had it listed as Italy, as that was the label on the cartridge when I acquired it.

Font style and size of the left example is very similar to this Manurhin headstamp from the same date. Also note the primer crimps.

1 Like

One of mine is labeled as “Holland” but that might have been confusion with the AI headstamp.

I saw similar triple stab on some FN and SBS headstamps.

One of the leading French experts confirmed it to be French made (Manurhin) and assumes it to be for export.

1 Like

Fede,
I know this is old hat to you, but for the uninitiated…

Right (clockwise from top): 3-65 (Production: March, 1965), F (Metal Supplier? F = Tréfileries et Laminnoirs de la Méditerranée, St. Louis, France), 12.7 (.50 BMG), MR (ManuRhin).
Left (clockwise from top): AL (Client?), II (Month?: 2 = February), 65 (Year: 1965), .50 (.50 BMG).

Do you think the large font version is the same manufacturer?

1 Like

jestertoo

Here’s my guess.
The machinery used to make the headstamp may have been made by Manurhin, because the font is the same. The headstamp style is French, with the 12 & 6 o’clock markings at angle to the 9 & 3 o’clock ones. The factory might be French or a European company with a French military contract.