Who was BRIGANT? Importeur?

Sorry, that I`m annoying with my questions today :-)

I have a box with brand “Brigant 9mm Para”.

Is it possible, that Brigant was a importeur?

I am not sure of the country of origin of the name “Brigant,” but I believe it was in Germany. The ammunition in the box pictured is of Czech origin. I believe the name was some sort of brand name for a German seller of surplus arms and ammunition. Just a guess.

This answer was heavily edited to remove a totally wrong response by me thru confusion with a totally different word. My apologies to all.

Ok, thank you.

Manuel, I am going to amend my answer quite a bit, as my memory failed me. In a bit of a hurry this morning, and probably should not have tried to answer your perfectly good question “off the cuff” as we say here, meaning without researching my files. The “Brigant” does not apply in any way to the East German Pistols. I found my original source, in which the pistol was referred to as the “9 mm Parabellum calibre Borsig automatic pistol.” Totally wrong. “Borsig” was never a designation for it and they are not 9 mm Para caliber, but rather 9 x 18 mm Makarov caliber.

Perhaps the word “Brigant” was in my memory from a previous search for the meaning of this word in relation to ammunition. I will, when I return home on Monday, try to find the word. I think I remember with whom I had the conversation, and he may remember it.

Sorry for the confusion. Old men should not try to use their “memory” to answer questions. I guess I will never learn.

‘Brigant’ is an old trademark of FRANKONIA-JAGD, a well known German warehouse, catalog & internet trader of guns, ammo, hunting/outdoor/sport shooting equipment, surplus stuff etc. etc.

I have no knowledge or proof, but it seems possible that this Czech surplus-ammo was traded by Frankonia.

GREAT Info!!! Thanks to Manual, Defender and John M!

I have wondered for years about the meaning of Brigant on these Czech boxes but never got around to spending the time researching it. Even a quick search of Internet didn’t give me any insight!

Appreciate the question and the answers,
Lew

Thanks alot Defender.

or in german: Vielen Dank ;-)

Manuel - I can provide proof of the fact that Frankonia Jagd did, indeed, sell Czech surplus 7.62 x 25 mm, so 9 mm doesn’t surprise me at all. In April 1972, I visited the beautiful store of this company in Wurzburg (Wurzberg?), Germany. I remember it was on a street not to far from the river and a very scenic little bridge with a beautiful view of a casle on the hill on the opposite side of the river.

I was talking to man at what appeared to be more of a work counter than a sale counter, mostly through a Swedish friend who spoke fluent German. I noticed on the floor behind the counter some big boxes, and one was open showing boxes of what appeared to me to be .30 Mauser ammunition. I asked if I could see some of the ammo, and he put the whole box, quite heavy, up on the counter. There were several broken-open boxes, so I looked at the rounds and they were all Czech 7.62 Tokarev rounds of various headstamps. I asked if I could buy any of it and he explain that as a tourist, I could not. A lot of this conversation was in broken English. I showed him a picture I took to Europe of a couple of drawers of my cartridge collection, and my business card from the store. He looked at them and had a short conversation in German with my friend, and then turned around and when somewhere in the back of the room. What he told my friend was basically that he couldn’t sell me ammo, but that he had “no interest” in the broken boxes of ammunition, as even if they repacked it, there was bound to be some “missing” due to the damage. I was to dense to understand, but my friend said he is telling you to take what you want from the loose rounds, but not any full boxes! I will never forget that visit and his kindness. I got my first six or seven Czech Tokarev headstamps I had ever even seen, for my collection.

As I said, I have no doubt that they probably would end up with Czech 9 mm also, as not too long after my return home, perhaps six months or so, both calibers started to appear on the US Market, as I recall.

Oddly, I received the identical courtesy in a Danish gun shop where the owner, after telling me that they had no loose ammo and certainly no Danish military ammo, produced the lid of a big box with perhaps a hundred or more loose cartridges tossed into it, put it in front of me on the counter, and said he had to go in back for a few minutes to take care of some work. He said it with a big smile that basically told me I could go thru it and grab some. When I asked to pay something for the ammo I took, when he came out, he said “what ammo.” There is no ammo here. He even made a phone call on my behalf and gave my Swedish friend an address to visit, where while we had to wait in the car while he went up to apartment or house of the man, whose name I never knew, and who gave him still some more Danish 9 mm Variations for me.

Different times than today, and a couple of super-nice gentlemen who obvious understood cartridge collecting. Great memories. Sorry if I bored everyone with them.

At any rate, my trip to what was then called Waffen-Frankonia, an Abercrombie and Fitch quality store, fits right in with the information from Defender.

The name BRIGANT is olso used on small arms. I have seen it on rifles.