Who was looking for bullet markings?

Here are some .323" bullets. First 2 are copper jacket. Second 2 are plated.

Marked P / H / DN / (written) IP?

??? another photo of the IP???

These are German 8 x 57 Mauser

The first image above depicts well a variation of the S bullet that’s often hard to detect: the second bullet from the left has a jacket which supports more of the lead core than is seen in earlier bullets. In Dr. Storz’ new book we are told that this was necessary due to the elimination (or reduction) of antimony in the core alloy during the World War. JG

Gill - What is “Dr. Storz’s new book?” Books are coming out faster than I can keep up with them. Please let us know the title, the basic subject matter, the language used in the book (German, English, etc.), where and when published, if it is available in the U.S. from whom, and perhaps the price ranger might be helpful as well. Thank you.

Dear Missing

Our very own “gamgjm”, otherwise known as the Delta Kid, is amassing information for a future article in the JOURNAL. He may be out of town right now and will probably be in AZ for the bullet show next week, but keep trying. His contacts can be found in the Forum member directory.

Ray

John: Excuse my posting in haste; the book is Gewehr & Karabiner 98 by Dieter Storz. It’s available in German or in a somewhat shaky English translation and is expensive in the U.S. ($140 or so). Most of the book is devoted to the arms, but there is what seems to me a very good section on the 7.9mm cartridge. It doesn’t cover the special purpose rounds, but it does give a lot of information on production problems and techniques, packaging, and related areas. Considering the cost and bulk of the book anyone might want to check out a copy before deciding to take the plunge. JG

Gill - if you recommend the book, I will buy it as soon as I can afford it. I am leaving tomorrow morning for an expensive driving trip to the SHOT Show in Las Vegas, and then on to a cartridge show in Prescott Arizona.
I’ll have to see if I have any hobby funds left (what with St. Louis coming up next month, this is an expensive time of year for me).

Could you PM me with the details of where to get the English language version, or is it in German and English in the same edition? I don’t mean to turn this bullet-marking thread into a book discussion.

Thanks

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Gill - if you recommend the book, I will buy it as soon as I can afford it. I am leaving tomorrow morning for an expensive driving trip to the SHOT Show in Las Vegas, and then on to a cartridge show in Prescott Arizona.
I’ll have to see if I have any hobby funds left (what with St. Louis coming up next month, this is an expensive time of year for me).

Could you PM me with the details of where to get the English language version, or is it in German and English in the same edition? I don’t mean to turn this bullet-marking thread into a book discussion.

Thanks[/quote]

John,

I just “googled” the title: “Gewehr & Karabiner 98 by Dieter Storz” and got a lot of hits. The book sells at 95.00 Euros, in both the German and English version. There are reviews, photos and extracts to see via Google.

gravelbelly