Wildcat from 40 SW

Does a wildcat based on the 40 SW case with the rim turned to 9,85 mm exist?
The same thing as the 41 AE,only made from 40 SW brass

Pivi - I don’t know if it exists or not, and have not even looked up the dimensions to see if it is that easy to change a .40 S&W case to .41 A.E. However, if it does exist, I would not call it a “Wildcat.” It is simply one case of factory caliber altered to that of another factory caliber, probably due to an absence of a supply of correct brass for someone reloading the .41 AE caliber.

[quote=“Pivi”]Does a wildcat based on the 40 SW case with the rim turned to 9,85 mm exist?
The same thing as the 41 AE, only made from 40 SW brass[/quote]

There were similar wildcats using cut-down .30 Remington brass prior to the invention of the .40 S&W. At least one US gunsmith was offering a rebated rim version of the .40 G&A wildcat for conversions of Browning Hi-Power pistols. In addition, a couple of S&W engineers, Baker and Spencer, played with a similar rebated rim cartridge many years before the .40 S&W was ever introduced.

In a big can picked up at the local shooting range I found this NEW 40 SW case with rebated rim.I tought that it was made to create 41 AE brass but the inside neck diameter is .395" so the .41" bullet can’t be put in it.
Thank you,anyway

Pivi

The inside neck diameter of a new 40 S&W would probably be .395" or very close to it. So I wouldn’t consider that unusual.

Perhaps the rim had been turned down to .389" but the neck had yet to be expanded to .405 - .407" which is what you would need to seat a .410" bullet.

But that doesn’t explain why a NEW case would have been thrown away.

I can’t say that this explains the case that you found but it is one possibility.

Ray