Winchester 12ga Experimental?

I was told when I bought this cartridge that it was an early Winchester 12 ga. experimental plastic shell. It has no headstamp. It is a rolled crimp over a tan top wad with “8” in black stamped on it. It is 1 11/16 inches long. It is all plastic, including the head. There is an insert of either black plastic or black non-magnetic metal in the head. It has a standard battery cup primer with a copper cup and a brass primer.

I have had this cartridge since the late 1960’s or early 1970’s. I would guess it was made in the mid-1950’s.

Does anyone have a positive ID or other information on it?

Here is a poor image. It is the best I can do.

An identical round is shown in Tillinghast Auction Catalog No. 2 Cover and Lot No. 566. It says: “12 GA. Plain, Early Winchester EXperimental, Loaded, 1 7/8” shell, clear green plastic, 8 on paper top wad, PROBABLY ONE OF THE FIRST US ALL PLASTIC SHOTSHELLS".

I think it is not at all one of the “THE FIRST US ALL PLASTIC SHOTSHELLS” because 1960 is very late.

1930 year is closer for the first US all plastic shotshells.
jp

Fede–The Tillinghast shell is not identical to mine on at least two points: Mine is shorter and is not green. When it was made I am sure it was clear uncolored plastic. It is now slightly yellow from aging.

JP–Who said my shell was made in 1960? I said I had owned it since late 1960’s or early 1970’s. My guess of mid-1950’s was just that–a guess based on the fact that Winchester and Remington both introduced plastic shot shells in early 1960’s. Do you have more information on the all plastic shells made in the 1930’s that you mention?

One of the earliest US all plastic shotshells was patented by Du Pont in 1926 (filled in 1923).

This invention embodiment of the Reynolds Patent assigned to Olin Mathieson (issue 1958, filled 1954) may be related to this cartridge.

Hi Ron,
I already put the picture in an old thread but nobody seems to know .
I don’t know either the signification of the small sign after the word patent

jp

JP and all…The “small sign” appearing after the word “PATENT” appears to be a dimension associated with the height of the headstamp lettering…(just the draftsman’s opinion)…it looks like the number 4 to me…so maybe 4mm letter height…Randy

Exact ! I am stupid ! So focalized on the hstp I did’t think of it!
Ad disappointed because a sign would have perhaps given info on the maufacturer.

Anyway I think this hstp is US.
jp