Winchester 1897 cartridge board - 44 Flat W & C

I’m trying to gather some original dummy cartridges to complete a cartridge board project, and am wondering how the 44 flat W & C (Winchester & Colt) differs from the ‘standard’ 44 flat. Both of these are included in the rim fire cartridges on the 1897 cartridge board. Anyone willing to educate me or just speculate on these two?

Guy–Actually there should be 3 different .44 Henry Rimfire cartridges on that board. The differences, according to the 1893 Winchester catalog, are in the bullet and powder charge.

The [color=#0000FF].44 Henry Flat[/color] has a 200gr. Flat Nosed lead bullet and [color=#0000FF]28 grains[/color] of powder.

The [color=#FF0000].44 Henry Pointed[/color] has a 200gr. Pointed lead bullet and [color=#FF0000]26 grains[/color] of powder.

The [color=#00FF00] .44 Henry Flat W. & C.[/color] has a 200gr. Flat Nosed lead bullet and [color=#00FF00]23 grains[/color]of powder.

Guy–According to the illustrations in the 1893 catalog the .44 Henry Flat and the .44 Henry Flat, W. & C., they look identical, so as dummies I doubt if they can be told apart, since the only difference is the powder charge.

Hi Guy and Ron.

As Ron mentioned, there is no visible difference between this round and the Henry Flat with 28 grains of powder. The C&W round was loaded with a weaker powder charge so that when used in Colt (or any) revolver, the head would not buldge and lock up the cylinder and prevent the cylinder from turning. In some circumstances, this could prove to be a fatal flaw. With the lower powder charge it still worked in the Winchester rifles, and hence the name.

Occassionally, you see fired 44 rimfire cases with bulged heads. I don’t know if they were fired in the revolvers or the Henry’s or the Winchester 66’s. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us on this.

Cheers,
Will.

Will: If the fired case has an evenly rounded bulge in the center of the base and two firing pin impressions 180 degrees apart it was fired in a Henry or 1866 Winchester. As far as I’m aware all other rifles and handguns in this caliber left a single firing pin impression and the case lacked that characteristic dome in the central part of the base.