Winchester .45 Sharps bullets

Here’s a great box of Sharps bullets that someone contacted me about regarding when it was produced. I would guess 1870s to 1880s, but have nothing to base that on. Does anyone know anything about these? We collectors focus primarily on the loaded cartridges, and the loading components tend to be overlooked.

Guy: These bullets were likely made in response to the series of Anglo-American long range rifle matches first held at the Creedmore range on Long Island in 1874. That suggests they were produced in the second half of the 1870s, but sure as I write this one of the single shot guys will set us both straight. The New Haven address on the label indicates packaging occurred in 1876 or later. While waiting for better word, you might want to google up some phrases like Sharps rifle and Creedmore rifle range. Good find. Jack

Thanks. I wish I could say it was mine. This box and a bunch of its litter mates are in Great Britain along with the wood crate they were shipped in.

Great box!

I can read Cal. 45 and weight 550 grain.
Could somebody please explain what is written by form and mixture?

Dutch: I think the notation beside Form is “LR” standing for, I’d guess, Long Range. The Mixture seems to read “1-11” suggesting an alloy of 11 parts pure lead to one of tin. Jack

Thanks Jack!!

Rgds

Here’s the wood crate:

GENTLEMEN:

PERHAPS THESE BULLETS ENDED UP IN ENGLAND AFTER THE BRITISH LOST THE 1877 PALMA MATCH TO THE U.S.A. TEAM WITH THEIR RIFLES AND AMERICAN AMMUNITION. THOUGHT THEY SHOULD INVESTIGATE TO CHECK OUT OUR BULLETS.