Winchester box date

Can anyone date a box of Winchester cartridges with code K3083C.

Buff colored 2-piece box, yellow label w/red border, Staynless.

Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New haven Conn. U.S.A.

Thanks

Ray

Giles and Shuey’s book shows a box like that in .375 H&H. They cannot date it, but state it pre-dates the introduction of the Wincheser Model 70 in that caliber, and also pre-dates the 1935-1946 yellow, red, and blue Winchester box style, as they are known in .375 H&H. Probably is from early to mid-1930s. Described as “early and rare.”

They also show a very similar box in .300 H&H, and state that was loaded only in East Alton, and also say that this label was used for .300 match loadings until just before WWII.

Thanks Dennis. I should have added that “Staynless” was followed by “Non-Mercuric” which would have dated it post 1932. Your mid-1930s estimate sound right to me.

Ray

Both the .300 and ,375 box labels shown also say non-mercuric. So a broader date range might be 1933-1940, depending upon caliber.

Dennis

I do not own the box that I’m asking about. It is 300 H&H and supposedly contains Match cartridges, which is why it caught my attention. I’m a sucker for Match. Your descriptions and the phrase “early and rare” may have clinched it for me.

Thanks again.

Ray

The .300 H& H was introduced in 1925 and saw favour as a match cartridge in the decade after that over here before burning out by the war. It never regained its status after the war. So that might help. IN 1935 it won the Wimbledon 1000 yds, thrusting it into the limelight in the US. so if its US the years after 1935 are key.It had a brief window of popularity after that before the war took most of the shooters abroad and involved in more pressing matters elsewhere. After the war it still held a limited match interest which died out totally by 1950 due to wash through. Killed off in the UK by the requirement for service ammo in competitions, can’t speak for the US but I guess the cheaper post war .30-06 good sniper ammo just washed it away.

Vince

That is very much the way the 300 H&H evolved as a Match cartridge in the USA also. In the 1930s the Cal .30 (30-06) was the premier match cartridge but the win at Wimbledon shook up the entire shooting world. As you said, everything was put on hold until after WW II and the KW, but shooters never forgot that lesson and the Magnum craze was born. The 300 H&H, by today’s standards, is a lightweight when compared with some of the Improved and Super Improved loudenboomers that you see at 1000 yard matches. But even that trend is being reversed as more and more of the baby boomer cartridges, like the 6.5mm in a small case, are winning. Nothing stays the same.

See my article in the IAA JOURNAL#456, titled Boomers and Baby Boomers.

Ray

Over here, except for the bench rest guys, 1000 yds is limited to 7.62 and most of it is done with heavier bullets and faster twists. Still very sniper orientated. the sage was Malcom Cooper before he died prematurely.