Winchester Factory Display

Our family doctor here in St. Louis told me when I was a teenager in the '60s that he had been involved in the development of the .60 cal. machine gun round during WWII. In his office he had this Winchester box sitting on display on his book shelf. After drooling over it long enough, he gave it to me. He told me it was presented to him by Winchester. He also had a couple of the .60 cal. rounds. You can find them sometimes here in St. Louis. I know there were larger Winchester display boards, but does anyone have similar Winchester displays centered on military cartridges? The display is still in very good condition, though I had to replaced the black elastic ten years ago as it had deteriorated badly. Notice the label indicates Winchester Repeating Arms Company, Division of Western Cartridge Company.Would this be a pre-WWII label used for the wartime display?

A beutiful little item, similar to the little boxes with window shotshells in them. I have one of those, but this military display is much more interesting. Congratulations on having it and thanks for sharing it with us.

John Moss

Really neat display. Thanks so much for sharing it. If it is pre-war, it’s just missing it by months. The .30 Carbine ammo description states that it is for the Winchester Carbine just adopted which, if I remember right was finalized in Sept or Oct of '41. If you look at the rifle closely, you’ll see that the picture is of what looks to be the FIRST Winchester Light Rifle that was tested (not the SECOND, which was adopted) along with a 20 round magazine, something that never entered production. Really neat. Seeing so much history packed into one little box is amazing.

“Division of Western Cartridge Co” dates from about 1930 to 1946, but the M1 carbine would narrow it down quite a bit as bacarnal said.

You should be able to see the headstamps to determine if the cartridges are contemporary with the board.

Big-time Winchester collector R.L. Wilson says that Winchester cartridge boards devoted exclusively to US Military are rarely encountered. So you’ve got a good one.

Ray

What a dummy. Never thought to look at the headstamps. All the .50 cal rounds are WRA 42, the shotgun rounds are Ranger and the smaller caliber rounds are marked variously with caliber and WRA 1942. Here are a few not too good pics. All the .50 rounds have fired primers, but the others weren’t but powder removed or shotgun shell sectioned. I did not want to remove them from the board.

A close up of the drawing of the carbine.

Have come to the point in my amassing career where few things on the shelves are safe from sale or trade. A shrinking group of items holds on by dint of their provenance.
All that to say, if this set was in my hands, I would probably note somewhere in my will that I wanted to be buried with it.
Nice. SUPER nice.