Wooden 32 S&W shorts

I was looking for some old standard 32 S&W shorts and recently purchased an old dark green box of Remington UMC 50 rounds with a stamp on the front “SHOT”. They were sealed, but I opened them to find out it was filled with 50 wooden bullets in brass “Central Fire Cartridges”. I reckon these are old training rounds, possibly WWII era, but have no idea how this box came to be filled with wooden bullets. There is no indication on the box regarding wooden bullets. Was Remington into the practice of reloading standard boxes with training rounds?

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. Now, on to your question.

They are not training rounds. If it was a solid wood bullet, it would break up at the muzzle. That is a blank.

Since the box is labeled “SHOT”, that means they have shot pellets inside a thin wood capsule. The capsule breaks, and the shot spreads just like out of a normal shotgun.

To bring up an old post, look at this:
iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.ph … 4&start=15
The inside of that sabot should look roughly similar (albeit smaller) to the 2nd picture.

Should also be like this, too:
pictures.gunauction.com/63831356 … bnail1.jpg

Thank you for your reply. That makes good sense. I’ve never seen wooden cased pistol shot before.

So, they’re more intended for varmint or snake rounds?

Do you have any idea how old those are? Are they rare or collectible? I really don’t have much use for them (except just for the historical value). The box looks to be circa 1950, perhaps '60s…

They were primarily intended as close range snake loads. Others were for riot control, some for other purposes. One that comes to mind is the .45 Auto for the Thompson SMG. It was intended to be fired at the pavement during a riot so the shot would bounce at an upward angle at a slower speed towards the rioters! Surely a way to poke out an eye or other squishy bits.

I am no expert, but value should be on the order of maybe 40-60 bucks.

These shot loads were made in almost every caliber from the .22 LR to .45-70’s & 11mm Dutch.

The single rounds would be in the 1 to 4 dollar range.

The box could be much earlier than the 1950’s especially as it was sealed & a two piece box (not the newer end-flap opening style 1-piece box) A number of those boxes actually had the wood bullet profile pictured on the box, (should be much blunter than a normal lead bullet profile) but some did not.

Pete, add .41 RF Swiss as well (By Remington).

Doc AV

& .44 Henry, .44 short, .32 and .38 long & short plus Spencers to add some other rimfire case types.

Patent obtained by Marcellus Hartley and A.J.Hobbs…in other words…Union Metallic Cartridge Co.

Randy