Woodin Cartoon

Don’t ever think that Bill didn’t have a sense of humor. This cartoon was up on the wall beside his desk in his office in the lab.

Bill had a good sense of humor, I once mention there are thought to be just 5 jokes & in return he gave me a book titled Plato and a Platypus walk into a bar… Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes
by Cathcart & Klein.
An interesting read.

Got the following from Frank Hackley re the cartoon:

"That “Folded” cartoon you posted on the IAA Forum was originally posted on the bulletin board near Andy Grandy’s [the inventor of the folded, or “U-shaped” cartridge who was a Frankford Arsenal engineer at the time] FA office. I assume some of his friends did it as a joke? In any case, before I left FA I took the cartoon down and gave it to Bill, who really got a kick out of it. BTW, Bill’s favorite comic strip was “Beetle Baily” and when he was in Re-Hab I would send him the current ones, since his local newspaper did not print Beetle Baily in their cartoon section.

Mel - Good Grief, as Charlie Brown would say. I thought the
Beetle Baily comic strip was discontinued years ago!

It used to be one of my favorites too. No cartridges in it though.

:-(

John

Yes, Bill had some great humor about him, I one time told he and Beth a story not a joke, I thought Bill was going to pass out in his dinning room chair he was laughing so hard. And no I cant tell the story here. memories great stuff.

In the two books by Bill’s first wife, Ann, about raising their family in the desert, and their trip across much of Asia and Africa in a VW bus, Bill’s wry humor come through a number of times. I highly recommend them both, although they seem to be from before Bill got seriously into cartridge collecting, but was heavily into all sorts of critters, and they had all sorts of snakes, turtles, birds, spiders, bobcats, wolves, etc living with them. (Sorry, Jason, no tigers.)
Ann Woodin, Home is the Desert
Ann Woodin, In the Circle of the Sun

Both are available on abebooks.com with multiple copies in the $5-10 range.

Bill Woodin and his family (all of them) lived quite a life, and what most of us know about his cartridge collection (as impressive as that is) know only a little about a most remarkable man and his many adventures.
I would like to know more about his service as an ambulance drive during WW2 in the CBI theater.

John,
I was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson AZ from mid-1965 to mid-1967. It was sometime about late '66 I think that I learned about Bill Woodin from Don Amesbury, but Bill and his family were off on their round the world trip and it was a couple of years later that I met Bill at the Chicago Show. Bill already had a massive collection of ammunition when the family traveled around the world. Bill told me that he really got interested in ammo when he was in India and Burma during WWII and left me with the impression that he became a serious collector just after WWII. Bill has talked about the ammo he saw and found when visiting the tribal lands on the Pakistan-Afganastan border. In fact, at SLICS his sons also shared their version of Bill’s story. They told of Bill finding boxes of rare old cartridges he had never seen before and struggling to decide how many he could actually succeed in bringing away and getting home.

Miss Bill often!!!

Lew

I visited the lab when Bill and Ann still had the Bobcat and a female
Wolf with cubs. I got to go in the enclosure and “meet” the Bobcat,
which having been raised (well fed and groomed) from a kitten (is
that what they call a young Bobcat?) was much bigger than the few
I had seen in the wild, and a magnificent and beautiful animal. One
of the thrills of my lifetime.

At the time, the collection was in the house, and already was one of
the two best collections I had seen to that point (the other was that
of Sal Guarini, who lived just twenty or so miles south of me). I believe
Sal was either the first or one of the first Presidents of what is now IAA.
However, compared to what it was to become, the collection would be
considered small. At the time, it most certainly was not compared to most
others. At that time - I forget the year, but it was in the 1960s - cartridge
collecting was already an important part of Bill’s life and he was well known
to most people serious about the hobby. As Lew said, he had Already
been collecting for over 15 years, starting with a foot locker full of items
sent back from the CBI campaign.

To chronicle everything these incredibly accomplished people did in their life
times would require several volumes, I think.

Just as an aside, how many people among the cartridge collectors know that he
was quite good with a boomerang and expert with a bull whip?

JLM