Woodin Laboratory Article in Small Arms Review

For those who may not subscribe, the December 2010 issue of the Small Arms Review magazine - just received yesterday - has a wonderful article about Bill Woodin and the Woodin Laboratory. IAA President Pepper Burruss is quoted several times. The IAA is mentioned and our web site was listed in addition to a photo of a recent Journal.

The article is great publicity for cartridge collecting in general and for the IAA in particular. I’d recommend you get a copy if you can. I see them at bookstands and in book stores.

I wonder if there’s a possibility to have it attached to the IAA website homepage?

Only if we get written permission from the copyright holder. If someone gets that and a scanned version, I would be happy to post.

Or if it is on line, someone provide a summary and link to their site. We cannot quote the entire article without their written permission.

I bet if we emailed the website people over there we could get them to post the article as one of the many sample articles that they already have listed on their site. Then we could just hotlink to it and people would be redirected to their site to view it. That would be good publicity for them anyway.

The Woodin Lab is great! (unless you have cat allergies). I was out there from this past Tuesday to Thursday and time flew while I took over 1100 photos, and made over 100 photocopies. You can’t beat their hospitality, and what a resource! It’s very worth while to Bill too since collectors of specific things find little corrections or additions that can be made, so the Lab keeps growing. Plus there’s always organizing to be done. One interesting thing there, which you might consider for the “ammo collector who has everything” was this nifty piece:

It’s not just a print, there are real cartridges inside a Lucite seat & cover!

Hmm, having it I would not feel like using it.

And one should say now there is no relation between toilet seats and cartridges.

I wonder where they got that! That is new to the Lab since the last time I was down there (way too long since my last trip). There are always surprises at the Lab. I can’t wait for my copy of the magazine to arrive. Hope it is in tomorrow’s mail! It is one of the few gun magazines that I did not drop my subscription to recently. I used to take them all, but found little of personal interested in most of them, and my file cabinets are full. There was not sense subscribing to most of them anymore.

That is the first picture from a toilet I like. :)

I do not know if Small Arms Review is available other than by Subscription, however if some kind collector would be good enough to secure and post me a copy, I would happily cover all costs. I have some wonderful memories of Bill & Beth’s place.
I can also include my own Woodin Lab ‘toilet story’.
Having just utilised the said facility, my attention was drawn to a Black Widow spider that had made it’s home behind the bowl (we call them Red Back spiders down here in Australia). I called out to Bill that I was going to rid him of the loitering spider with the sole of my shoe, “No, don’t squash her!”, came the reply, "We don’t know how long they live for, so I’m just leaving it there."
I don’t know whether 16 years later that same spider is still there, but any visiting collector would do well to closely examine not just the toilet seat but the possibility of other inhabitants before ‘settling down’!

Of the many things to be said about Bill the most telling is " HE IS UNIQUE " !

[quote=“DKConfiguration”]I bet if we emailed the website people over there we could get them to post the article as one of the many sample articles that they already have listed on their site. Then we could just hotlink to it and people would be redirected to their site to view it. That would be good publicity for them anyway.

The Woodin Lab is great! (unless you have cat allergies). I was out there from this past Tuesday to Thursday and time flew while I took over 1100 photos, and made over 100 photocopies. You can’t beat their hospitality, and what a resource! It’s very worth while to Bill too since collectors of specific things find little corrections or additions that can be made, so the Lab keeps growing. Plus there’s always organizing to be done. One interesting thing there, which you might consider for the “ammo collector who has everything” was this nifty piece:

It’s not just a print, there are real cartridges inside a Lucite seat & cover![/quote]

I am very happy to hear about the extensive documentation which you have done. WOODIN LAB is a treasure which has never been properly documented. 10,000 photos would not be enough.

Peter Cobb - I will make a copy of the article for you and get it off to you. I will scan it and send it electronically. The copy, if you have a good printer, will be much better that way than off my Canon copy machine, which is old and black & white only.

I remember the Black Widow Spider also. I told Bill about it and suggested its removal and got the same reply. I suggested he make a sign for the wall so that no one with a stouter heart than I would simply squish it without asking. I don’t think its there anymore. That bathroom was amazing. One time I was down there, you couldn’t use the sink because a big Wolf Spider was living in the pipe. I am happy that he never came out while I was there!

All this sounds bizarre to those who don’t know these wonderful people, I am sure, like not daring to shoot a rattler on his property, but these people are real scientists, and everything that lives and breathes on the Sonora desert is a life-time study to them. They have simply no fear of even those elements of the desert scene that are potentially dangerous to man.

What a life they’ve led. Bill’s wife, Beth, was a working cowboy for a time, as was her mother, another grand lady. In fact, at dinner, her mother asked me to explain what Cowboy Action Shooting was. I expected a tone a sarcasm to come in, since she had been a real cowboy, but there wasn’t a bit of it and she said it sounded interesting and like a lot of fun. Beth was also high up in the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Bill, as is well known, was one of those responsible for the high quality of the Sonora Desert Museum, considered among the finest Zoos in the world.

I have not visited the Lab nearly enough, but for every visit, there is a story, and as with DK’s visit, it usually centers arounds the gracious hsopitality that meets every visitor at "The Lab."
A special place run by special people!

John
can you please send me also a copy of that Article !!

regards
Harrie

I worked with the writer on the article and I have one of his e-mails where he expresses he would ask permission of the magazine to allow the IAA to run the article…I will inquire where that situation might lie

And permission to post on our website?

When we moved to AZ about 10 years ago, & I was building the greenhouse, I found a Blacktail rattlesnake nicely coiled up under a nearby bush (3 feet away). I took a long handled shovel & picked/scooped it up & dumped/tossed it over the hill. The wife then called Bill asking about it & his reply was Oh they are nice, just let it alone. When she said it was next to the door, Bill said well that’s another story.
The snake never was alarmed about all this, never coiled to strike or rattled, pretty laid back snake.
Not about bullets, but about Bill & his attitude towards reptiles. Pretty sure he is a herpetologist, among other things.

He’s also a member of the Planetary Science Institute. When I was there a week ago I ended up going to a PSI meeting with he & Beth since it was on the way to the shuttle bus drop off. I met the director of the Phoenix Mars mission there - Peter Smith (the sort of guy who you see on PBS’s NOVA show). You never know what you’ll get into when hanging out with Bill.