World War 1 1918 Brass Shell Casing

I have just acquired a WW1 1918 Brass Shell. Can anyone tell me what the markings on the bottom actually mean.

They are:

6Pr
III
CF
D
K
Lot 249
BV8 (nb the V has a line in the middle of it, making it look like an arrow head)

I have googled various websites but the information is conflicting . I gather it could be French or English and CF means full charge. I would like to know it’s history, having been in he family as long as mother can remember. My mother is now 84.

Is it similar to this shell in its dimensions?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13071&p=92785&hilit=6+pounder#p92785

Hi

It’s dimensions are 75mm diameter and 305mm in height. I do have images but can’t see a tab which allows me to attach them.

Thanks for your interest

deleahy - UK

Most likely a British 6 Pdr casing (Pr = Pdr = Pounder) since the V with the line is probably a British broad arrow acceptance mark i.e. the casing passed final inspection during production. The case mouth should measure 57mm if a 6 Pdr.

Brian

Brian is correct that this is a British 6 Pounder (57mm) case. The designation comes from an old method of measurement where a lead ball of this diameter would weigh 6 Pounds.

III - Mark 3 Case
D - Unknown, possibly an inspector’s stamp.
CF - Round loaded with a full charge of cordite.
K - Manufacturer - Kynoch Ltd. of Witton, Birmingham, UK.
Lot 249 - Lot number for that year (1918)
B[Arrow]8 - Inspector’s stamp
1918 - Year of manufacture.

This case was used in the French-Designed 6 Pounder Hotchkiss gun. These were used as deck guns on British ships and also in early British tanks. The guns were in British service from the late 1880s to 1945. Photos of the gun and shells can ben seen at the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_6_pounder_Hotchkiss

The case should be 57mm in diameter at the open end with a total length of 307mm. There should also be a “neck” where the case diameter reduces around an inch below the open end. Brass shell cases were often cut down to be used as vases, poker stands etc.

Unfortunately this case is not “rare”, but it is still collectable.