WRA Co Bullets

From another forum. We’re trying to date this box. Bullets appear to be CN but could be tinned or stannic stained similar to many WRA bullets of the early 1900s. No other markings on the box. Bottom of bullets are stamped with a “W”.

Any ideas??

Ray

RAY:
THE 1897 W.R.A.Co. CARTRIDGE BOARD HAS THIS TYPE OF BULLET MINUS THE CANNELURE. I HAVE A SPECIMEN BULLET, WITH CANNELURE, WHICH I’VE DATED BEING MADE IN 1902. THIS SECOND BULLET MATCHES YOUR BULLETS EXACTLY. THE BULLET JACKET MATERIAL ON BOTH BULLETS IS CUPRONICKEL. CUPRONICKEL STEEL JACKETED BULLETS ARE FIRST NOTED IN THE 1905 W.R.A.Co. CATALOG. W.R.A.Co. COMMERCIAL CALIBER .30 CARTRIDGES MODEL 1898 (.30 U.S.G.) CAN BE FOUND LOADED WITH EITHER OF THE BULLETS CITED ABOVE. BOTH OF THESE TYPE BULLETS ARE FOUND LOADED IN W.R.A.Co. .30 U.S.G. HEADSTAMPED CASES WITH THE EARLY ROUNDED PRIMER WITH AN IMPRESSED LETTER “W” INSIDE A CIRCLE. THIS PRIMER HAS A DOUBLE CUP CONSTRUCTION, A SMALLER COPPER CUP CONTAINING THE PRIMING COMPOUND AND ANIVIL IS INSIDE A LARGER BRASS CUP. THE WINCHESTER, SO CALLED, PROTECTED PRIMER MINUS THE HOLE IN THE BRASS CUP. IF ANY OF YOU COLLECTORS HAVE ANY MORE PRECISE DATING INFORMATION PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST IT.

Thanks GWB. I’ll pass that info on to the owner.

Anybody else?

Ray

GWB is right on the money…

Randy

Thanks Randy. Your concurrance adds a lot of weight to his comments.

Ray