WRACo 44-40

How rare-scare is this WRACo 44-40 cartridge?

I have tried for a long time to get one with no luck. Can anyone help me to get one?
W.R.A.Co. 44-40

I have one so It must be easy to find.I paid very little for it some years ago.

I think that some forumist could have some samples to trade at low prices

Alex,
This headstamp is quite common here in the US. PM me with your address and I will see about getting one to you. The cartridge case will have to be drilled to make it inert before it can be sent.

Guy & Pivi - am surprised and happy to hear that the W.R.A.Co. 44-40 headstamp is common. I have accumulated .44-40s for about ten years - No, I haven’t sought them out truthfully speaking - and I don’t have one. Of course, I have numerous variations with the “W.R.A.Co. .44 W.C.F.” headstamp, and with the .44 HV M92 headstamp, but I have never had a W.R.A. Co. marked “.44-40” go through my hands. naturally, I know it exists - I have a picture of the headstamp. Maybe I’ll have to start looking for one. I really only started saving a few .44-40s because of the number of rifles and revolvers I have in that caliber - can’t say I really collect them.

I wonder if Shuey’s book is right on that headstamp. He shows it first used in 1895 and last used in 1920. I should look for one - it is the headstamp that appeared in Winchester boxes specifically marked “44-40 MARLIN SAFETY CARTRIDGES” and I have a decent Marlin “Safety” .44-40 Model 1894, made in that year. Its a good shooter!

Ooops. I missed that important detail on the headstamp Alex was asking about, and just assumed when he asked how rare or scarce was the WRA Co 44-40 headstamp that he was referring to the standard Winchester made 44-40 headstamp, which is indeed quite common here (and most likely much less so in Norway and or Thailand). With that said, I stand corrected. It is not too common with the WRA Co 44-40 headstamp. I have one in my collection, cataloged as a .44-40 Marlin, as John points out. I have sold a few in the past, but don’t see them very often.

Ehm,I made the same mistake.I thought that Alex was asking about the 44-40 CARTRIDGE made by WRACo , not with the specific “44 - 40” in the hds

This Forum is making headstamp-hunters and nit-pickers out of all of us. I learned a year or so ago to be very careful and yet I still get caught when I miss that dot or this dash or the small lettering vs the not-so-small, etc, etc.

But, it’s better that you guys got admonished, than me, again. ;)

Ray

Was this the first time “.44-40” was used rather than “.44 W.C.F” on Winchester ammunition and was there anything special about this load for the Marlin application or was the headstamp just something to make it different? It seems the .44 W.C.F. designation was used well into the 1900’s on regular loads and then at some point .44-40 (“WIN.” often) became popular as with the .25, .32, and .38 W.C.F.'s getting -20, -20, and -40 tacked on respectively. About when did this happen with Winchester or others for that matter?

Thanks,
Dave

Here’s a picture of the elusive W.R.A.Co. 44-40; perhaps this will make amends for my earlier goof. This one is a board dummy with the wood rod inside. In the lead bullet load, it used a heavier bullet than the .44 WCF, 217 grains rather than 200 grains; other than the bullet weight and the headstamp, I believe it was the same as the small primer version of the .44 WCF. It was also loaded with full metal patch and soft point bullets according to Shuey, both 200 grains.

I thought so, it was a small misunderstanding here, Co. (company) is importance to me. Still I do hope to find it one day so if you get a spare one please PM me