Wrapping collector boxes

I’ve been trying to find the cellophane wrap used to wrap boxes with. I have only one good box but want to wrap some with broken flaps also so they don’t fall apart on me.
I have the mint box wrapped in regular plastic wrap, but it seems cheesy… when I see the ones sold at shows, they have a thicker wrap on them… but all I can find in the store is the food wrap.

Hey Bomar

Just did a quick search for “SHRINK WRAP” on the intraweb. All sorts of suppliers out there. Take your pick.

Did a couple of boxes using my vacuum-seal, after including a block of wood to prevent collapse. Didn’t work. At all. Looked like crap. The heat-gun system would be better, I think, and is probably what is used by the pros on this here forum.

$.02.

Rick

Thanks… I didn’t think it was shrink wrapped… some of the ones I look at are wrapped like Christmas gifts using tape on the folds…
I looked at the Easter wrap they had at Walmart in April but it all had designs or color in them.

I use the clear plastic sheets sold at office supply stores and used for presentation covers and the like. These are fairly thick, and can be folded around the box, and the ends taped, much like wrapping a present. While this is a slow way of wrapping the boxes, it offers advantages over the other methods - protects the box against damage from dropping, holds styrofoam block filled damaged boxes together to prevent further damage, does not develop the wrinkles that saran wrap does, and one end can be opened to remove the box for photographing or whatever and then retaped.

I use a small paper cutter to get straight cuts, and to make straight folds - marking where each fold is to be made one at a time and folding over the edge of the ‘table’ portion of the paper cutter. The ends are folded in and taped with the box in place. It is tedious, but you find after a few of them that the process gets easier and the end results are pretty impressive. I usually let 8 or 10 boxes accumulate and then knock them out at one session.

Try your local florist for cellophane as opposed to food wrap. My Grandmother had a flower shop and had heavy duty cellophane that came on a 36 inch wide roll. As I recall (40 years ago now) she had 3 different thickness of cellophane for wrapping flowers or making clear tops for boxes for corsages.

And be sure to tell them what you want to use it for. :-)

I go to the local Ace Hardware store and buy the bulk heavy clear window plastic it is on a roll and cost about a buck a foot if you but the four foot wide size. It’s easy to work with even if you have old eyes. You can wrap a lot of boxes foro five bucks.

Doug D

Try an outfit that handles office supplies/papers/etc.

They sell cellophane on rolls. Figure something like $5-10 per roll of 100 fee 20 to 40 inches wide. Florists use the stuff to wrap flower baskets and the like. This will work okay with folding and then taping the ends.

I prefer the shrink wrap process with a heat gun, but start up costs are not cheap- need a heat strip sealer to close the wrap around the box before you use a heat gun (or Momma’s hair dryer if she is not around) to do the shrinking. Figure about $50-60 for the sealer, and $15 for heat gun and $40-50 for a large roll of shrink wrap material that will last almost forever.

We use a product called FLEX-O-GLASS. A good hardware store either has or can get it. The 4 mil is what we use for boxes and books.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I take it then there is no issue of the plactics damaging the boxes… I thought you had to buy a special kind to avoid discoloring the box that is wrapped!
We have plenty of heat guns, but really don’t like that idea since I’d be afraid of overheating the box or the ammo inside.
Telling the florist what I want it for is not a problem around here… rural… hunting area… in hunting season you see a shotgun or rifle in many cars and trucks and the orange hat and box of ammo on the dash!
I’ll do my searching now for the plastic and wrap up the boxes that need attention first. I do have window shrink in the cellar I didn’t use yet… maybe I’ll even look at that…even if I don’t heat it.

[quote]We have plenty of heat guns, but really don’t like that idea since I’d be afraid of overheating the box or the ammo inside.
Telling the florist what I want it for is not a problem around here… rural… hunting area… in hunting season you see a shotgun or rifle in many cars and trucks and the orange hat and box of ammo on the dash!
[/quote]

That box of ammo on the dash is probably more likely to create a problem from overheating than the box you are heat wrapping.

I would not worry about the heat from shrink wrapping. The plastic itself is a barrier to most of the hot air, so you are not blowing it directly into the contents of the box. The mass of the contents of the box is great enough (even for a box of .22s) that it will be slow to warm up, and the 20-30 seconds from the heat gun will have little or no effect. Even empty boxes don’t seem to have any problem being shrink wrapped.

If it is a super rare valuable box in extremely fragile condition, maybe manual wrapping would be prudent, but I don’t have any that would meet that criteria.