Writing in Russian made easy

Many of you deal with Russian-Soviet ammo and texts and if any of you ever need to write anything in Russian alphabet, here is a link to a site which makes transliteration very easy.
translit.ru/

RUSSIAN- EASY- THAT IS REAL OPTIMISM. When my son graduated with a degree in Japanese the dean of the college introduced the head of the department as the dean of REALLY HARD LANGUAGES; the department includes , Russian, Japanese and Chinese. We all see something easy about our native language. The site noted is a great help in transliteration.

• I don’t know the Russian language [less than perhaps 75 words] but I do know the Cyrillic alphabet and this helps. Any college edition of the Webster Dictionary has a table of alphabets that contains the letters of the Greek, Arabic, Hebrew and Cyrilic alphabet and the Latin form of those letters. In some situations it’s very easy to figure out the Cyrillic headstamp markings. Today the Cyrillic alphabet is used in the countries which formed Soviet Union and Yugoslavia and also in Bulgaria, perhaps in Mongolia too. If I’m wrong, “sksvlad” will correct me. Liviu 03/18/07

The former Soviet republics by far do not use all cyrillic script.
Beside the former USSR cyrillic is used by today’s Yugoslavia (left is Serbia and Montenegro but the latter will split soon according to a poll), Bulgaria, Macedonia, I think Bosnian Kraina (Serbs there) and Mongolia which already once was “pushed” into the 20th century by the Russians with cyrillic script “is getting help” today from the US to convert to a latin script in the 21st century causing a total chaos.

May be worth to say that cyrillic came from the Greek script and that Romania somewhen before 1880 also used the cyrillic script.

• Thanks for the correction and info. Yes, it is true, some old Romanian documents and books from the 19th century and before used the Cyrillic alphabet. Liviu 03/19/07