Writing on ammo

I have noticed quite a few people write on thier rounds, which pens do you use and which are the ones to stay away from. Also what is the best way to remove writing on rounds

Richard

Rich

A PILOT SCA-UF is the pen that is usually recommended. I’m not sure what the designation would be in England. Personally, I use a Sharpie Extra Fine Point (which may be the same thing). Either can be easily removed with lacquer thinner, acetone (nail polish remover), or even naptha (lighter fluid).

Ray

Always be carefull with laquered steel cases and any type of CM and PA seals and other color markings including colored tips etc.
There is different chemicals permanent markers are using so some solvents do better and some worse (or almost nothing). I usually start with spirit which seems to be the most harmless to laquers and if it does not work I go for others of the known solvents.

I would not recomment to write on any plastic surface (blanks, plastic training or other composite cases) as the ink (depends on the composition) can diffuse into the plastic and will remain there for ever and can not be removed anymore.

I have always had good luck using 91% isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel to remove writing from specimens I acquire. I generally remove all writing unless it identifies something about the cartridge that is not otherwise apparent, i.e. if it is from a reference lot or something like that.

hello
i recommend to not write on any case
the best is a small paper attached with thin string on the head of the cartridge
i had many rounds damaged by these writing

Thanks for the reply’s

Richard.

[quote=“ammogun”]hello
i recommend to not write on any case
the best is a small paper attached with thin string on the head of the cartridge
i had many rounds damaged by these writing[/quote]

Make sure the paper is acid free otherwise it could leave dis-colorization where it contacts the brass case. Also, if the cartridge is stored where it may acquire a patina, the area under the paper may stay the original color, again, leaving a ring.