WTB USGI M917 Dummy 9MM

Either the M917 or the M917A1 would be suitable. I am looking for a full, 50 round box, not singles.

Thanks.

Still looking for a good, full box of this Dummy ammunition. I ran across an image on the web of a box of TZZ stuff which is seen below. Please let me know if you know where I might find a complete box of this stuff. Thanks.

Charlie

I am not familiar with the M917A1. What does it look like and what is the headstamp?

Cheers,
Lew

Hi Lew:

I don’t know for certain just what it looks like as I have not yet found any to eyeball. However, I am pretty sure that it exists as it is reported to have supplanted the M917 round.

In February 2015 Rock Island Arsenal issued Ammunition Information Notice 023-15 regarding new Dummy Drill and Inert (DDI) ammunition. It says in part:

THE ARMY MODIFIED AND STANDARDIZED SMALL CALIBER DDI CARTRIDGES TO AID IN EASY IDENTIFICATION TO PREVENT INJURY CAUSED BY ANY MIX-UP WITH LIVE SERVICE AMMUNITION DURING TRAINING. THE NEW DDI ARE COMPLETELY NICKEL PLATED. IN ADDITION, THE 9MM DDI HAS 2 HOLES DRILLED IN THE CARTRIDGE CASE, WHILE THE 5.56, 7.62, AND .50 CAL DDI HAVE FLUTED CARTRIDGE CASES TO AID TACTILE IDENTIFICATION IN DARKNESS. THE NEW NICKEL PLATED DDI WILL BE THE ONLY DUMMY, DRILL, AND INERT SMALL CALIBER CARTRIDGES AUTHORIZED FOR CLASSROOM TRAINING AND WEAPON CYCLING FUNCTIONING FOR WEAPON MAINTENANCE, OR OTHER SITUATION WHEN INERT CARTRIDGES ARE NEEDED.

The AIN went on to call for the turn-in of all old DDI rounds with replacement by the new stuff:

COMMANDERS, PROPERTY BOOK OFFICERS, UNIT ARMORERS, SMALL ARMS MAINTENANCE PERSONNEL, AND INSTRUCTORS (CONVENTIONAL ARMY) USING DDI ARE REQUESTED TO TURN-IN ALL OLD DDI, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A159, AMMUNITION TO ASPS FOR REPLACEMENT. OLD DDI IS NO LONGER AUTHORIZED FOR USE BY CONVENTIONAL FORCES FOR TRAINING OR WEAPON MAINTENANCE CHECKS.

Thus, the new M917A1 will be nickel plated, non-fluted cases with two holes drilled into them. I don’t know who supplies the new M917A1 or what the headstamp says.

Anybody out there have some of either flavor?

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Click on each to see a larger, readable image.

PEO Ammunition Systems Portfolio 2012 – 2013