WW II stripper clip question

I am putting together a WW II cartridge belt for the Springfield 03 rifle from 1942. I have a mint belt, canteen, cup and case, and field dressing kit light kaki in color all dated 1942. I want to load with 1942 cartridge on clips. Does anyone have a photo of the type used in this time frame and who would the manufacturers be?

The 5-round stripper used in 1942 would have been the standard issue, brass 2- piece. I don’t believe they were marked as to manufacturer.

Ray

This is a good representative type, but apart from minor variations in the spring they’re all pretty similar. I’ve never seen a maker marked one … but never say never.

Peter

Thank you guys, just the information I was needing.

Remchester

I don’t know if you’ve tried to locate any correct clips for your project, but you need to be aware that there are many clones and look-a-likes out there. And some really awful substitutes. If you are a stickler for accuracy, like I am, nothing but the real thing will do. I’ve seen them for sale on different gun/shooting forums that I visit, so a little searching and patience should pay off. You can probably start out with any old clip you can find and then replace them with real ones as you locate them.

How about the cartridges? Do you have a line on enough '42 ammo to fill the belt?

Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck.

Ray

Thanks to Enfield56 for that picture, although we in Denmark used .30-06 in it’s various military versions between 1948 and 1994 (Last lot was for the Bornholm guard corps’ upgraded “self-propelled pistols” -the improved M24 light tanks. They had M1919 Brownings still chambered for the Ball M2.) All stripper clips I have ever seen here are very similar to swedish ones (probably also made there).
Though we burned up lots of US WW2 surplus AP, AP-T and Incendiary, not one of these brass clips have turned up here.
Soren

eta: added a )

I never thought about Danish use of 30-06 ammunition but looking at a Swedish 6,5x55 and a 30-06 clip side by side I can’t see any reason for them not to be interchangeable. The cartridges will fit although the 30-06 is a bit loose in the clip because of its thinner rim, most importantly the sidewall lugs are the same distance from the end of the clip and the sidewall is roughly the same height so the Swedish clip should fit into the clip recess on top of the rifle’s receiver. Denmark did produce one clip for the 30-06 though;

Peter

Peter, are you sure that this H.A. is Danish?

I hope so … I’ve rather nailed the thing to the mast !!

I’ve understood it to be produced by Haerens Ammunitionsarsenale, now I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Peter

Ray, thanks for the help. So far I have found 50 DA 42 cartridges to fit the belt and am on the lookout for another 35. I would like to find 10 AP rounds dated 1942 as well as 5 tracer rounds with same date. Kind of what a soldier would have carried. I just started this project a few days ago when I started digging through my military items. So far it is going well. I have 8 brass strippers and looking for 12 more to complete the belt. I found an early 1942 canteen with the early aluminum cap and cup of same date and manufacture. The only real fly in the ointment is a belt knife. Early GI’s were issue WW 1 Mark 1 trench knives. I will have to remove my one and only Mark 1 from my military knife collection to make the belt complete. My knife is original but has a repo sheath, still looking for an original. I saw your post about early dummy strippers. Enfield 56 showed a few examples. I have a few of the early type with the 2 indentations on the back side if you need one.

The US M1903 clip and the clip for the 7 m/m 1893 Mauser are, practicallly speaking, interchangeable. Using the Swedish 6.5 m/m clip involves not only a rim that is “thinner” but also smaller in diameter. I’d wonder if the use of the Swedish clips for loading the M1903 and M1917 rifles, but must admit I haven’t tried it myself. Jack

[quote=“enfield56”][quote=“EOD”]

Peter, are you sure that this H.A. is Danish?

[/quote]

I hope so … I’ve rather nailed the thing to the mast !!

I’ve understood it to be produced by Haerens Ammunitionsarsenale, now I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Peter[/quote]

Peter, I think the Garand clip must be post 1945 (as history is telling) so the “HA” was not used post 1945 by Denmark anymore (unless I really missed something) as they been using lots of other abbreviations of their ordnance departments which changed over the time to like “FKF”, “AMA” and others. So I think we can exclude this H.A. (with dots) from being Danish.
Also as I was forced to examine lots of Danish ammunition I have never seen a “H.A.” clip in Denmark where these should be around in quantities then.
I think our friend “Defender” can elaborate on this issue much better.

Wasn’t there a dodgy batch of 6,5x55 headstamped ‘HA 48’ ? I seem to remember there being a picture of the box in the Collectors Grade book on the Swedish Mauser rifle but I can’t check the reference as it’s packed away and in storage before an imminent house move.

Peter

I am not sure about 1948 then but the Garand ammo is M52 and went under “FKF” administration already. As said, maybe Defender can inform us in detail as that is his area of expertise (and he knows about years and hs) - I am as usual the fire-starter only…

During WWII, there were Two types of M1906 Stripper clips, the Plain Brass ones as shown, and the Grey chemically stained Brass? ones. I don’t know when the Grey ones came into use, but I have SL 1943 ammo which has them ( original Bandos) and they were also used after WW II (Korea, Vietnam).

Whilst all the Mauser 93 type clips will interchange in the Springfield clip guides, and hold the 30/06,… “some may fit better than others”…Mutual Clips include M93 Spanish. M93 Turkish, Type 30 and 38 Japanese, M24/29 MAS, M94 Swedish, and so on. But Only the US clips have the end cartridge retaining Tab to fold over…(If Originality is what you require)…so hang in there, and look for Original US clips. As far as I know, no US Made clips had Makers Marks on them during WW II; back before WW I, I don’t Know>>>>maybe someone does??

Doc AV

remchester

Hold out for the original brass strippers ca. 1942. To paraphrase the Charlie the Tuna commercial, “You don’t want strippers that work good, you want strippers that look good.”

Ray

I must admit I’m still a bit unsure about those Garand clips and that’s for the exact same reason as EOD: Haven’t found any yet in this country.
As for the headstamps on danish ammo post war, the first lots of M/48, 1947-51, all had HA as the makers code. 1952-53 had AA (AmmunitionsArsenalet) and from 1954 it became AMA.
Earliest use of HA was on 9mm revolver and 8mm M/89 in 1938.
Soren

Garand enbloc clip codes:

http://www.ammogarand.com/m1gaclco.html