Ww1 30.06 cartridge

Anybody know the history behind National Conduit and Cable who made 30.06 military cartridges during 1917 and 1918? Thanks.

From Wikipedia:

By 1891 the National Conduit and Cable Company had established an operation on the waterfront producing cables for utility companies here and abroad. Labor strife between striking workers of the National Cable and Conduit Company in 1912 left two strikers and two bystanders dead. Similar labor unrest occurred in 1916, whereby the village was put under house arrest.

During World War I, 200 National Guardsmen were stationed in Hastings because of the security interests of the National Conduit plant and a chemical plant opened by Frederick G. Zinsser that produced a wood alcohol called Hastings Spirits.[3]

I assume since cables had metallic wires at that time, it was easy for a metal procuring company to get into cartridge making.

From HWS Vol. I, Revised, pp 290, List of Manufacturers:

National Conduit and Cable Co., Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y. In September, 1917, this firm was given a U.S. Navy contract for four million rounds of Cal. .30 Model 12906 ball cartridges. Headstamp was NC and date of manufacture. Later this facility under the name of National Brass and Copper Tube Co. was given a U.S. Army Ordnance contract to manufacture Cal. .30 Model 1906 ball cartridges.”

Two headstamps are illustrated in Figure 146, pp 111; N C 9 17 and N C 17. The text by the figure states that: “Rounds headstamped CN 1 17, believed to have been made by this firm, have been examined, but no information regarding them has turned up.”

When I collected .30-06 I had a couple of NC headstamps (ball and M1909 blank which could be loaded in fired cases with any period headstamp), but I’ve never seen a CN variation.

Thanks for all your help guys! Appreciate it.

My understanding is that the NCC Hastings-on Hudson 1917 ammunition was found to be one of the types (headstamps) most commonly associated with the burst receivers of low-numbered Springfield Model 1903 rifles.

I have also read that most of the stuff was condemned and dumped at sea.