WW1 era training rounds for U.S. Navy 3-pounder

I believe these are U.S. Navy ‘3-pounder’ training rounds (less the lower wooden portion.) They were found in the area of the July 10, 1926 explosion of stored munitions at Lake Denmark, NJ. I was able to identify them thanks to the identification guide published by IAA.

Too bad it is all gone. The wooden part is missing together with the brass section of a likely cut down case.

This looks very similar in construction to the early U.S. Navy 3 inch 50 Cal. dummy drill round, as EOD mentioned the wood midsection is long gone as is the brass base.

EODC can you please take a picture of the opening of the partial brass case and post here?

Approximate diameter of the projectile at the case mouth?

Thanks,

Brian

An inside view. The iron ‘projectile’ itself has an opening of uniform diameter of about 3/4" that runs almost full-length. The pins seen in the photo are actually machine screws. The mouth, or small end, of the brass ‘shell’ measures between 1.892" and 1.912 (it’s slightly out of round.) The larger end measures 2.160" to 2.168".

I’m not sure that the bottom portion would have been cut from a shell that could be primed. Wouldn’t the base from one of those short blank-like shells - the ones I call dummy shells - have been more likely? The brass seems thinner and it appears that they can’t be primed at all, not in a conventional way anyway. I was thinking that they - the ‘dummy’ shells - were used in the servicing of a gun, but maybe they ARE the bases for training rounds. Attached is an inside view of a blank-like ‘dummy’ round.

This is similar to the pictured “heads”. I do not know if all original or put back together…
Can someone tell us if same vintage, or what is not correct? Thanks, Dan

big%201

big%202