WW1 French Experimental Anti Zeplin Flechettes by Baelde. 1915

Since there have been a number of prior discussions concerning flechettes here on the Forum I decided to added the following concerning some experimental incendiary flechettes and from what little I can understand is a electromagnetic flechette release device. Information on these (that I have found thus far) is very limited but there are some interesting pictures.

#1-

Flèche percutante, incendiaire, asphyxiante pour combattre et détruire les Zeppelins, offert par l’inventeur Félix Baelde à la Défense nationale] : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

Online translation:
Flèche percutante, incendiaire, asphyxiante to fight and destroy the Zeppelins, offered by the inventor Félix Baelde to the National Defense]: [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

#1a- A portion of the picture above, the red arrows point to what I think may be modified French 8mm Lebel cartridge cases (?)

#2-

[Flèche percutante incendiaire asphyxiante… . et lance-bombes électro-magnétique… contre les Zeppelins, offerts par l’inventeur Félix Baeldé à la Défense nationale… soumis le 29 avril 1915…] : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

Online translation:
[Asphyxiating incendiary arson. And electro-magnetic bombs … against the Zeppelins, offered by the inventor Félix Baeldé to the National Defense … submitted April 29, 1915 …]: [press photography] / [Agence Rol]

#3-

Lance bombes fléches électro-magnétique avec chargeur automatique électrique muni d’un viseur contre les Zeppelins, offert par l’inventeur M Baelde à la Défense nationale] : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

Online translation:
[Electro-magnetic arrows bombs with automatic electric charger equipped with a Zeppelin sight, offered by the inventor M Baelde to National Defense]: [press photograph] / [Agence Rol]

#3a- Enlarged portion of the picture above, the blue arrows are pointing to “conventional” all steel flechettes.

Some brief discussions have occurred on the Pages 14-18 forum:

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net/pages1418/aviation-1914-1918/lance-bombes-sujet_3077_1.htm

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net/pages1418/aviation-1914-1918/munitions-anti-zeppelins-sujet_2175_1.htm

It certainly would be nice to find the legend identifying all the numbered parts shown in picture #1.

Any additional help with translation and/or information is most welcome.

Brian

Very interesting. Unfortunately all I can add is this picture of my flechette.

Joe

Very good information on these flechettes Brian! Thank you!

Great photos as well gentlemen!

Regards,
Dave.

the guy is wearing his special inflation suit to absorb choks when he uses his special parachute

hello xjda 68 :
If you like fléchettes from WWI, here is an incendiary one (but not from the same guy)
jp

flechette incendiaire

and another incendiary Arrow
jp
flechette incendiaire bis

I would welcome any references and photos of the uncommon WWI aerial flechette’s (PM me). I’m am planning a SLICS 2018 display Currently have 20+ different items to display. Some undoubtedly faked or replicas

I’m a buyer

Pepper

I cant wait for that pepper!

I know that such topic exist here, but all pictures are unfortunately lost… :-(
I have this flechette from my grandfather - he was an Austro-Hungarian soldier. I don´t know from which front or from which army this flechette should be.
I never saw such a “steel and wood” type on web or elsewhere.
Tip and screw is steel, back part is wood.
Do someone know it?

Whole lenght: 142 mm
Tip lenght: 53 mm
Diameter: 8 mm

WOW. would love to hear more about your grandfather

INCREDIBLE! So many of these I have never seen before. Thank you so much for these pics.

Jason