WW1 German 7.62 x 54mm & 8x50R Mannlichers for Bulgaria

Does anybody know the designation that was used for German-made 7.62mm x 54mm ball rounds during the First World War. I have one with a ‘DM 1917’ headstamp.
I remember seeing them refered to as ‘Drei Linien’ (three lines - three tenths of an inch) but what designation was actually written on their boxes?

7,62x54r russian experimental 1905

I believe the paper packets were marked thus;

15 Patronen Kal.7,62mm
in Rahmen
zum Russ. 3 Linien Gewehr

Dm

What the bulk packages were marked as, I’ve no idea.

Happy collecting, Peter

Peter, many thanks!

There is also a Polte made one.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“enfield56”]I believe the paper packets were marked thus;

15 Patronen Kal.7,62mm
in Rahmen
zum Russ. 3 Linien Gewehr

Dm

What the bulk packages were marked as, I’ve no idea.

Happy collecting, Peter[/quote]

That is something which I have never seen and would like to.

These are the most common ones in Europe:

Thank you. The top one looks like a Russian box. Are these German made packed in Russian style boxes or captured Russian ammo ? They look like relables to me as German labels usually have far more information.

This is a typical Russian packet of the time. The pink stripe is unusual.

They also copied the box design means the boxes and the cartridges are made in Germany.
German WWI labels did not contain much info.

Does someone have photos of the two headstamps that go with the boxes to post on this thread?

Cheers,

Lew

Lew, a day or two and I’ll post ‘DM 1917’.

I can post others later today.

Regards
TonyE

As so often happens, I have made a promise I cannot live up to!

I cannot find my Polte 7.62x54mm, and as I do not collect these it could be anywhere in the trade stock. However, by way of consolation I did find these two. An 8mm Mannlicher and an 8mm Lebel both made by Polte in 1917. Note that thhe Mannlicher has been in a Maxim style fabric belt.

At some stage the Bulgarians made these into wood bulleted drill rounds, as evidenced by the two in the second picture which were both in the same paper wrapped packet of ten.

Regards
TonyE

Not an easy headstamp to photograph but here it is;

Some details of German made WWI 7,62x54R cartridges

And also some headstamp of the Russian orders 1905-1909 for M1891 cartridges including German

Treshkin: In your examples is the “B” headstamp cyrillic for Weiss of Hungary or latin for Berndorf of Austria or neither? Very interesting lot. Jack

Nice collection of headstamps. DM and PM made cartridges in this caliber found their way into the Spanish civil war, along with ones from Kynoch, Western, Winchester and Remington.

Nobody knows this exactly, but I think that it’s early lots of Weis with cyrrilic B in headstamp. Than the Austrian style of the headstamps was changed to simply manufacturer code and year of manufacturing.

In this picture there is another interesting headstamp - B 09. Only Weis get additional contract from Russia for producing 7,62x54R cartridges in 1909, but … with round nosed bullets M1891 and in steel envelope (!), in spite of adopting in 1908 light pointed bullet type L.

[quote=“schneider”][quote=“treshkin”]
And also some headstamp of the Russian orders 1905-1909 for M1891 cartridges including German
[/quote]

Nice collection of headstamps. DM and PM made cartridges in this caliber found their way into the Spanish civil war, along with ones from Kynoch, Western, Winchester and Remington.[/quote]

Yes, there was a lot of manufacturers of 7,62x54R cartridges. If we speek about Russian orders during WWI, the manufacturers headstamps looks like this:

Thanks to all for the images and information. Jack