WW1 Grapeshot? Or Shell Identification

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I purchased an inert ww1 artillery shell at a local antique market. After spending an entire day searching for examples like it online, I have come up empty handed. The closest guess that I can come up with is that it is grapeshot. From what I gather, grapeshot was extremely uncommon in the first world war. Perhaps someone could share their expertise and tell me what exactly this shell is.

It measures 77mm by 29cm, and is quite heavy, appearing to be filled with something. The nose is copper, and the body is tin or perhaps steel. The nose is riveted on, as shown in the picture, and the body has a seam down its side. It looks as though the exterior is thin like sheet metal. But its heavy, so something must be inside of it.

From what I read, grapeshot would have a thin metal casing filled with shot. When fired, the shell would blow apart in the barrel, and the shot and casing fragments would spray across the battle field.

Based off of the description and pictures, does it sound like ww1 grapeshot? Thanks!!

Its a German 7,7 cm for training (Exerzier). Probably I’ve seen 7.7 in this version, in my opinion rare shell.

In PL before the war brass shells or brass sheet on top normal shells its a standard for “training” artillery ammunition. (although there were also wooden ones)
There were also examples of small caliber ammunition with brass bullets or as a whole cartridge - e.g. Mauser, Lebel, 7,92x107,

In other countries also used. I remember 7,65 [8cm] Czech brass shell, Russian 85 mm…

For example 37x257R Bofors copper shell and 75 mm wz.1915 shell [turned + bras sheet]

ex

Also, there is no fuse at either end.

I never thought it might be a practice shell; that makes sense. Do you think the paint is original, or no? If not, do you know how it would have been finished? Thanks again

This is no dummy!
This is the German “7,7cm Kartätsache”, a canister shot.

A very scarce item, well done!

Here a diagram:

Thank you. The diagram you sent is exactly like it.