WW1 Princess Mary Tine gift pencil

Ok, so I was cleaning some brass that I got out of an estate and found this…

“M” under crown

KN 14

VII

“Sterling Silver” on bullet.

No pencil and I found the “silver bullet” part stuck in the case.
Were all the casings for the pencils “engraved” with the “M”? This is the first one I have come across. Were they all King Nortons cases?

Thanks

.303" drill / dummy

Yes, all the pencils had the engraved monogram on the shoulder. However, apparently only the Royal Navy, being the senior service, received pencils with the sterling silver bullet envelopes. The army ones had a normal CN envelope.

Almost any make of contemporary .303 case can be found, including some from the Dominions.

Regards
TonyE

This was probably 15 years ago, I ran across a Princess Mary Christmas 1914 tin at an antique mall. It was rectangular with a lid. I remember the card with it describing it as something given to all of the UK troops as a Christmas present from the Royal Family, and it contained candy, tobacco, etc. Was this cartridge pencil one of the items originally in the tin?

I didn’t buy the tin, and I don’t remember seeing another since, even though I’d guess they are quite common. Probably not so common in the US however.

This eBay listing suggests that the pencil was one of the items (silver bullet tip):
ebay.com/itm/WW1-World-War-1 … 231ad1285d

Mel Carpenter did a bang-up display of these at SLICS one year & published an article in the IAA Journal. See issue 421 page 24

[quote=“DennisK”]This was probably 15 years ago, I ran across a Princess Mary Christmas 1914 tin at an antique mall. It was rectangular with a lid. I remember the card with it describing it as something given to all of the UK troops as a Christmas present from the Royal Family, and it contained candy, tobacco, etc. Was this cartridge pencil one of the items originally in the tin?

I didn’t buy the tin, and I don’t remember seeing another since, even though I’d guess they are quite common. Probably not so common in the US however.

This eBay listing suggests that the pencil was one of the items (silver bullet tip):
ebay.com/itm/WW1-World-War-1 … 231ad1285d[/quote]

I believe that all of the pencil holder “bullets” were round nosed, like the Mark VI .303" bullet. That item in the box looks like a fired pointed bullet, possibly a .303" Mark VII.

gravelbelly