WW1 shell

Hi, just wondering if anyone is able to help me identify this shell I recently purchased. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

1 Like

Here is some info, hopefully others will chime in an identify some of the other markings

Brian

2 Likes

18 pounder Mark II cartridge case made by Kynoch (K) in 1915 and accepted (broad arrow mark) by inspector 117 on 16th January 1916. (Note the use of capital “I” as a 1.) No. 1 Mk II primer made by R.A. Lister (RAL). Has been reloaded twice (after the initial load - hence fired 3 times) with a Full charge of Cordite (Cordite Full charge). The case has been annealed once (A with a punch mark), possibly by “Y” (Yorkshire?) Railway workshops (many railway workshops carried out cartridge case repairs), and it has been Scleroscope (hardness) tested once by repair contractor “N”. The anchor is an inspector’s mark and nothing to do with Naval service.

2 Likes

As above, however,
The ‘C’ actually denotes ‘Smokeless Powder’
YRY is Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, (Chief Mechanical Engineer’s Office), Horwich, Manchester.
F5 (the filler of the primer) - National Filling Factory No. 5, Quedgeley, Gloucestershire.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications Tim. I have never been entirely happy with “C” for cordite - even though numerous manuals and handbooks refer to this - as there were different propellants used other than just cordite. “P” for powder(?) was used before the C was adopted.

On another note, I am still yet to determine the differences between the marks of 18 pounder cases - Mk I, II, III and IV with Mk I* and II* upgrades noted. They must be quite minimal as there is little noticeable difference (other than removal of the segmented crimps from Mk I to Mk II or Mk I*), and the later handbooks say any mark of case may be used.