WW2 German Incendiary bomb

I picked this up at an estate auction a couple of months ago.

Diameter is 50mm. Length is approximately 347.5mm.

Markings on the “nose” are: i kpp 37 centered in the middle. There is a number 13 inside a circle on the top right and some unidentifiable figure on the top left side.

I am not sure the painted “tail fin” and “nose” are correct, but it is nicely done and appears to be about the same age as the rest of the item. There is some type of corrosion on the main body, which I believe is aluminum.

I can provide more photos, if needed.

It is a German incendiary bomb, as dropped on England during the 1939-45 war by the million. The body is some sort of magnesium alloy which, melts and burns, and the tail is usually painted grey/olive drab colour. I don’t think that the nose was usually painted at all. The fuze is a simple inertia impact type and I think that the series of flame holes around the body had a thin metal cover when dropped.

The tail is secured with three pins into the body and there is a screw plug in the rear of the body covered by the tailcone. These used to be very common over here. If you got to them in time it was possible to extinguish a burning incendiary by burying it in sand and adding water to cool it. A later version included a small explosive charge which scattered the burning material for greater effectiveness and also made smothering it risky.

gravelbelly

Edited to add info

Well, I’ll be darned!

I spoke with his son at the auction. He told me that “Dad has an incendiary bomb around here somewhere.” I told him to NEVER use the words “incendiary bomb” and “somewhere” in the same sentence! :>)

When we finally found it, I bought it and figured I would have to do the research to properly identify it. I will be pleased to tell him his dad was right.

Thanks for the info.

I was told by an EOD professional here in the UK that these are still found lodged in the lofts of houses in London. He said they are reported at an average of around one a month. Unfortunately they end up being destroyed and collectors never get them.

I need to speak with the son to ensure that the colorful red, white and blue paint job is not something personal.

I was debating the idea of restoring it back to a closer version of what it should be. It is almost a certain guarantee that I will not get the proper color of green. I suppose I can clean up the body better than it is now.

I know that my first thoughts on it were that it could not be military with the paint job that is on it now. Perhaps if I “restored” it, it would be more believable to others?

What say you all?

I agree, to remove the fantasy paint job and leave it as it is until you find the right color.

Those I had seen so far were in different paint jobs:

• silver
  • green
  • accoding to the manual: brown-grey

Here as it is shown there.

[quote=“EOD”]I agree, to remove the fantasy paint job and leave it as it is until you find the right color.

Those I had seen so far were in different paint jobs:

• silver
  • green
  • accoding to the manual: brown-grey

[/quote]

The tail colour may possible indicate whether it is an incendiary or incendiary with the extra explosive charge (this is a guess on my part). It is likely that the fancy paint job was painted on top if the original colour so careful removal of part of the newer paint may reveal the original. Try some spirit or paint thinners or paintbrush cleaning solution first.

The body was not painted so some careful cleaning off of the crud and oxide is in order and may reveal more markings on the side.

gravelbelly