Ww2 u.s. navy "bomb, whistle, mk i, mod i"

“BOMB, WHISTLE, MK I, MOD/ BU. ORD. DR. NO. 301047” (or maybe 8101-7?). is stenciled on the side of this item which appears to be WW2 vintage. It is made of thin sheet metal tubing 1.5” diameter with a flat base wooden plug in the tail end, and a conical wooden plug in the nose end, and both ends are painted green while the body is black. Length 15.5" weight 7.1 ounces. The opening in the side would produce a whistling noise as it falls through the air when dropped from an aircraft.

I cannot find any information on this item. My best guess is that it was a psychological weapon small and light enough to not waste valuable carrying capacity needed for high explosive bombs, and a number of these could be carried in some sort of clamshell container or even stacked loose on top of the real bombs. These would spread out considerably from the drop pattern of heavy bombs and presumably the noise would terrorize anyone in the target area as a bonus for a bombing raid. Alternate guess is that this might have been something dropped on troops during training exercises with minimal risk of serious personnel casualties but exposing them to the threats of attack from the air.

Does anyone have any info at all on this item?

John, very interesting, thanks for posting. During WW2, Germany used this item attached to the tail fins of high explosive bombs. I’ll see what I can find about this US version.

This one is new to me in US inventory but as suspected already these were used for psychological effect.
These devices did not influence the drop path of a bomb. Germany used them a lot in CAS missions.
Here two SD 50 frag bombs with standoff probes and installed whistles under the wing of a Ju-87 dive bomber (mage from the web):

German Ju-87 dive bombers had even own sirens (in German called "Lärmgerät " = “noise device”):

A USAF pilot attached captured examples of the German model to the fuselage of his P-47 Thunderbolt, and I read that others done the same to the P-51 Mustang.

The British made similiar whistles as early as 1940, but can’t find information about their exact purpose.

A close up of the German model:

Another example attached to the wing of a P-47:

This item has a single hole in the side in the cut away area, and the photo of the pile of German bombs shows what appears to be a fastener of some sort in a similar location, so attachment to a bomb fin seems to be the likely use.

Note that the German bombs shown all have individual fins, as did most pre-WW2 U.S. bomb designs. Later bombs used “box” fins, and it may be that these produced a whistle sound, eliminating the need for separate attachments.