Wwi .45 acp

I was reading something about the large amount of .45 ACP ammunition (335 Million rounds) made during WWI in the US. There was mention made of two ammunition manufacturers, namely Maxim Munitions Corp. and Pan American Munitions Corp. that also made .45 ACP but these two did not produce much. I note that there is a previous posting about Maxim Munitions, but it provides little information, and in any event was not related to .45 ACP production. I saw nothing about Pan American Munitions Corp in the postings.

I would think any existing .45 ACP examples (and boxes, ephemera, etc.) from these two would be rare if not extinct. Does anyone have further information about these two manufacturers?

DennisK,

Looking quick at the Journal archive and HWS I, I found this info:

.45 Auto headstamps from Maxim Munitions Corp:

Maxim 5-17
M.M.C. 4-17
Maxim U.S.A 6-17
Maxim U.S.A. 10-17

Note: Edited to remove “Maxim U.S.A. 11-17” from the above list.

HWS I indicates that the Pan American Munitions Corporation didn’t get far with actual production but that a few hundred rounds were submitted for acceptance testing to Frankford Arsenal, headstamp(s) unknown.

Others may have additional info to share on these companies and their .45 Auto production.

Dave

MAXIM 5 17
MAXIM USA 5 17
MAXIM USA 6 17
MAXIM USA 7 17
MAXIM USA 8 17
MAXIM USA 9 17
MAXIM USA 10 17
MAXIM USA 17 (OFFSET)
MAXIM USA 17 (CENTERED)
The above is a list of headstamps I’m aware of.

The M.M.C 4-17, I’ve seen listed but only one seems to be known & it is in Tuscon.

While the 11-17 dated Dave E posted I’ve not heard of or seen before. Dave where exactly did you find it listed?
(edited one to rephrase the above ? to DaveE

The box is faintly rubber stamped “NOV 9, 1917”

Pete,

Issue #14, pg.1 of the Cartridge Trader, Nov. 1956, indicates those headstamps being in the collection of Bill Woodin.

My only Maxim Munitions item is an 8mm Danish Krag dated 1916.

Very nice box you show there. Thanks for posting that.

Dave

Thanks, Pete for the more thorough and accurate list and all who helped verify that the listing of headstamps I posted above should not include the 11-17 dated variety. I made an edit to reflect this.

Seems to have been a misprint in the Cartridge Trader and I’m sorry for any confusion I may have generated!

Dave