WWII 12g Winchester all brass shell

I got this from Dan Dietz today. He told me the following. These were used by US military mostly for sentry/prison guard purpose. When Pacific war with its humid warm climate started, it was found that paper shells used for inside the cave fighting got swollen and did not work well in trench guns. So American soldiers preferred all brass, like this one. Does anyone want to add to this story?

Interesting! It’s obvious that both paper and brass shotgun shells were made and used by the US Government during the war, both in combat and elsewhere. I have talked to several Marine veterans that fought on places like Iwo Jima and Okinawa, one of whom used a shotgun from time to time. None of them recall seeing brass shells in combat, their’s were paper, but one recalled using brass in the US during training. I think this issue of what was used where in WWII is like many other things in the field of collecting; make a definitive statement and some one will argue you are wrong. To me brass makes better sense than paper in the torential rains they encountered but the paper seems to have worked, even in that.

The brass case versions were standardized late in WW2 as the M19. The paper cased rounds were definitely issed for combat use, not just training, although they may have given preference for the all brass rounds after they bacame widely available.

Prior paper cased loads were purchased from Western, Federal, Peters, and Remington (Kleanbore and Arrow) and perhaps another one that I forget right now. These were shipped with the commercial 25 round one piece boxes with “U.S. PROPERTY” added.

The Winchester all brass loads were shipped in 25 round two piece boxes with “generic” black printed ID on natural color cardboard.

Remington produced all brass cartridges seem to have been shipped almost exclusively in 10 round boxes.