WWII 15cm GR39 drawings

Hi all,

I’m doing some historical research and I’m trying to find details about the German WWII 15cm GR39 type B hollow charge shell/cartridge.

I was wondering if anyone has a drawing or schematic of the 15cm GR39 and would be kind enough to share it.

Many thanks for your help.

I have these drawings of GR 39 hollow-charge shells, but they’re 10,5cm ones, not 15cm;

Peter

I have only this diagram of the Gr39 without the internals.
Its is very difficult to find anything on these from German sources.

This might seem a naive question, but the drawings I show indicate a process that relies on the detonation of the nose fuze to flash down to the initiator at the base of the shell which would then detonate the main charge … this seems a bit “indirect” given what was going on at the front of the shell once it had struck something.

Wouldn’t an inertial fuze at the base have been an idea ?

Peter

Peter, this was in the early days when not all was settled. This here was the so called “spit back” system.
But even today you can find some HEAT projectiles with this system, in particular with Sviet/Russian designs.

The designation “39” decribes the type of projectile (HEAT in this case), not a real model year. That is why this number is applied to different calibers.
Enfield56,
a hollow charge needs a minimum detonation distance from the armour to be effective. The spit-back system was obviously considered more reliable in this respect than base fuzes.

Jochem, my understanding in the past was that the number was giving the year of adoption of the basical design independent from the actual caliber and year of adoption of it.

Thank you all for the replies. EOD thanks for the awesome drawing -just what I was looking for.

And here’s my weird follow up question-
Is it technically possible this type of projectile (15cm GR39 type B hollow charge) could have been used (on rare occasions) to lob and deliver some other kind of payload besides explosives?

In theory everything is possible but to me no other use than for HEAT projectiles is known.

Thanks again EOD.