WWII .30-06 questions

Hi.

Some cartridges .30-06 Ball, M2 from WWII fields in Europe.

Found two possible names of producer according to Headstamps:

1. Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL

2. Winchester-Western Division of Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation.

What name is more correct to these cartridges?
It is ok that same kind of cartridges from different producers has different methods fixation of bullets inside shells?

your number 1 & 3 have L C as code, which is Lake City Ordnance Plant.
WCC is Western Cartridge Company

1 Like

The “LC” headstamps are from Lake City Arsenal. The military designation for this cartridge was "Cartridge, Ball, M2. There were similar designations for AP, Tracer, Blank, Grenade Launching ctg., Incendiary, API, and dummy rounds. May have missed some loadings in there. I will leave it to the .30-06 experts to give designations for all of those, if wanted.

Some other designations one sees are “.30 Ball Model of 1906” and commercially, simply “.30-06” or ".30-06 Springfield.

Those cartridges you show in links were likely for the Browning Machineguns M1919A4 or M1919A6. Originally, the belts were of cloth, first white and later olive drab. The cloth belts were still being used in the 1950s, even though I believe the links came out in the latter part of WWII. I only know these rounds from being in a light weapons squad when I first went into the Army. I have never collected this caliber. On stripper clips or enbloc chargers, these cartridges were also used in the M1903, M1903A1, 03A3 and 03A4 Springfield bolt-action rifles, as well as the Browning M1918 Automatic rifle (in Magazines) and the M1 (Garand) Rifle. All were used in WWII.

There were other designations for aircraft machineguns of .30 caliber, but I am not familiar with them off the top of my head.

John Moss

1 Like

As John said, prefacing his very correct answers, I don’t collect this cartridge either, and there are LOTS of real “experts” on the Cal…30 US. However, to address your question, YES there are several variations on the case mouth crimping. Your examples seem to show the “segmented” crimp as well as the complete circumference crimping. Your picture indicates the bullet cannelure, which also comes in a variety, depending on type of bullet, manufacture, etc. The cannelure, knurled or smooth, one or two, etc. was often used to denote different bullet types. Just a note: The condition of your rounds would be much better if not for the extensive corrosion attributable to the steel MG links. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all answers. It seems like cartridges were missed during actions in summer 1944. Some shells have damages. Two badly damaged bullets 8x50R Lebel cartridges were found near at same place.
I could clean up cartridges, but it is not necessary for now. Powder inside still ok. Some of them could be ok for shooting. But it is not necessary for me to check it.

1 Like

If we extend the range of uses of the Browning .30 MG links in U.S. service to include aviation use the metal link belts go back to the Marlin of 1918. Jack

During disassemble some of cartridges I found that most of them are Armor piercing, M2. It was interesting for me that bullets of cartridges L-C-42 have some differences with bullets of cartridges
L-C-41. And second surprise - is difference of powder in cartridges of different producers. Also I found that some bullets of Armor piercing, M2 cartridges still have black color on their tips.

AP always has a black tip, you might want to check in there are red tipped bullets (tracer) as well
the others are normal ball cartridges

René