WWII 45ACP ammunition

bump

Hunter

Depends on who wants it. I’d try to pay the “shootin” price, myself. But I WOULD save a few boxes. For the collectors out there. And I’d keep the can. For future reference, and if you decide to open the can, use a regular can opener on the bottom and not the “SPAM” can key. Saves the can for display. Thanks.

Rick

The initial production lot of .45 ACP M1911 ball ammo by WCC WITH NON CORROSIVE PRIMERS was lot 6375 in November 1951, so this should not be WW2 ammo.

(sorry. left out the non-corrosive part in initial post!)

If it was made in the 1950’s, would it have brass casings and use non-corrosive primers? I would like to advertise the sealed case and it contents correctly.

I don’t know anything about the lot numbers, but as a general rule, all U.S. Military ammunition made before 1952, except for .30 Carbine which was, from the start, non-corrosive due to the captive piston that soldiers were not authorized to remove for cleaning, is corrosive. Some 1952 lots are corrosive as well. I believe that it was 1953 before all lots of all calibers of U.S. military small arms ammunition were non-corrosive.

If I am correct, this ammunition would, if properly described, have little interest for a shooter, and unless someone collects sealed cans, and I have no doubt there are those that do, this ammunition would have little value - certainly not that of cnew commercial .45 ammunition. For thos that want a full sealed tin of Korean War .45 ammo, I can’t even guess the value.

John Moss

John and others who replied; Thank you for the information…I believe I have a buyer for the ammo and the information from this forum was very helpful. Thanks again.

This chart has been posted several times but the subject of what is corrosive or non-corrosive in U.S. Military keeps coming up, so here it is again.

Interesting. While I could not, at that moment, look up anything in my files on the “corrosive” dates, this is a list I don’t think I have seen before. It makes false the notion that the first “clean” year, with all rounds non-corrosive, was 1953. Appears some rounds after that were still corrosive. It does seem to confirm that 1952 was a mixed year, as I had thought from what I had in my files before. Thanks for posting this.

John Moss

John–The list should be accurate. It is based on U.S. Military records. It came from TM-108, 15 Oct. 1965 “Ammunition Reference Guide. U.S. Armed Forces”

Ron - I am sure it is accurate. I recognized the page format as being from a U.S. manual. I have a lot of U.S. Manuals on small arms - unfortunately, perhaps a lot to some, but very imcomplete on the ammo ones. Thanks again for posting it. It is very easy to read - good, complete information put into a very short form.

John Moss

Great list Ron! Thanks.

Dave

The list with lot numbers and dates is posted at

cartridgecollectors.org/30-0 … ctable.htm